Old 09-09-2004, 02:13 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Magwitch writes:
| I've just bought a Datura (about 1m tall - nice plant). I know they are
| tropical evergreen plants that need lots of light but no frost. Would an
| unheated but usually frost-free greenhouse do for over-wintering or would I
| need the plant inside (in which case there'd be a not so much light)?

Yes, but they can take VERY little frost. Mine got killed in an
unheated polytunnel, but this is Cambridge. Keep it dryish in the
winter.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:12 PM
Martin Brown

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Magwitch writes:
| I've just bought a Datura (about 1m tall - nice plant). I know they are
| tropical evergreen plants that need lots of light but no frost. Would an
| unheated but usually frost-free greenhouse do for over-wintering or would I
| need the plant inside (in which case there'd be a not so much light)?

Yes, but they can take VERY little frost. Mine got killed in an
unheated polytunnel, but this is Cambridge. Keep it dryish in the
winter.

Are you sure it was absolutely dead. I have had D. meteloides
occasionally over winter outside in N Yorkshire. Everything dies back to
the roots and then starts again in late spring. In an unheated
greenhouse in Belgium I had one that lived for 5 years in a raised bed.

Worth noting that they are fairly poisonous plants. The perfume from a
couple of flowers will fill a greenhouse and hover flies love them.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
Old 09-09-2004, 10:38 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

Are you sure it was absolutely dead. I have had D. meteloides
occasionally over winter outside in N Yorkshire. Everything dies back to
the roots and then starts again in late spring. In an unheated
greenhouse in Belgium I had one that lived for 5 years in a raised bed.

Yes. It was a late datura. Etc. The pots froze solid, as would
be expected for several days of even a mild (but continuous) frost.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 10-09-2004, 04:26 AM
Magwitch

Nick Maclaren muttered:

In article ,
Magwitch writes:
| I've just bought a Datura (about 1m tall - nice plant). I know they are
| tropical evergreen plants that need lots of light but no frost. Would an
| unheated but usually frost-free greenhouse do for over-wintering or would I
| need the plant inside (in which case there'd be a not so much light)?

Yes, but they can take VERY little frost. Mine got killed in an
unheated polytunnel, but this is Cambridge. Keep it dryish in the
winter.

Thanks I'm relieved about the watering - the greenhouse is my Dad's, 4 miles
away!

Old 11-09-2004, 11:18 AM
Sacha

On 11/9/04 13:03, in article , "Magwitch"
wrote:

Martin Brown muttered:

Worth noting that they are fairly poisonous plants. The perfume from a
couple of flowers will fill a greenhouse and hover flies love them.

The scent is just heavenly. When I went around the corner of our house to
the terrace the first evening, wow! My mother used to live in Jamaica and
some friends of hers had a courtyard full of them... imagine. I'm going to
get a few more next year.

Here, they seem to release their scent at about 5pm, so it must be to
attract whichever moth or butterfly is around then in their original
habitat. We have a huge Brugmansia in the largest greenhouse and it almost
overcomes you at that time. It's a shame it waits until then because most
of our customers have gone!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 12-09-2004, 04:34 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 11/9/04 13:03, in article ,

"Magwitch"
wrote:

Here, they seem to release their scent at about 5pm, so it must be to
attract whichever moth or butterfly is around then in their original
habitat. We have a huge Brugmansia in the largest greenhouse and it

almost
overcomes you at that time. It's a shame it waits until then because most
of our customers have gone!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

Now there's a project for the plant breeders, get the brugmansia to
scent earlier and while they are at it how about some ipomeas that flower
all day :~)
I have now moved our brugmansia to the kitchen door way which is normally
open at maximum scent time, its certainly one of the things worth waiting
for!
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Datura - datura.jpg Ann Garden Photos 4 10-08-2007 12:36 AM
Datura metel 'La fleur lilac' cultivation Trevor Appleton United Kingdom 1 27-04-2003 01:32 PM
Are Datura Harmful to Hens? Any Other Plants to Avoid? Andy United Kingdom 4 31-03-2003 09:32 AM
Where can I find "datura" which was mentioned above? will Texas 0 07-02-2003 06:16 AM
What to do with my Datura? Andy United Kingdom 1 06-02-2003 03:52 PM