Old 09-09-2004, 07:00 PM
John

Default Eryseperis - or words to that effect.

Last Sunday whilst carrying on with my garden re-design I was
knee-deep in lush garden loam when I grazed my ankle. Thinking
no more about it, I tidied up the site, had a shower and so to
bed - it was too lovely a day to miss a minute.

Next morning, intending to make a day of it again I started
to put on my trusted DM's and fell flat on my face, vomiting
the while.

My Senior Management - as usual was keeping an eye
on me - and rushed out in somehat of a panid. I managed to
get indoors before I passed out completely. She sent for the Emergency
Doc who just happened to be in the same practice as my own Doc.

Anyway to make a long story even longer, he gave me a hefty belt
of penicilin telling me to lay down and keep my foot raised for a
week. I scoffed at the idea but soon realised that I had a problem
when I vomited for England. Half an hour later Doc was back with
two boxes of different types of penicilin - enough to last for 30
days- saying that he'd be back the following morning (What a Doc! )

Since then I haven't eaten a thing until half an hour ago when
my SM almost spoon-fed me with a small bowl of soup. Funnily
enough, I haven't felt bad about that side of things because
I haven't felt the slightest bit hungry since Monday a.m.

I'm keyboarding this offerin sitiing at right-angles to the
screen and thinking that I may well have just dislocated
my spine through being in this position for more than a few
minutes.

Looking out over my shoulder through the patio windows
the fountain (about which I asked advice in this NG a month
or so ago) is spakling in the evening sunlight and I feel that life
can be very fulfilling even though my left leg appears to look
like a red log and swollen like the bloody slugs taking advantage
of my absence. One of them has passed the word to the others
and I fear to his kin over the river in Cornwall ;l there are hundreds
of the damned things, but I digress. Apart from my toes having
the appearance of overdone Frankfurters, my skin shedding
like a sunburnt adder, and wondering just how far up my leg
my veins can possibly spring.

Several of my 'oppos' have been moving me around from place
to place and time to time when necessary , and haven't been
sampling my 2001 dandelion special! at those times.

The point of all this waffling is that I thought it may be worth while
to pass a simple reminder to all you Urglars who already know
the wisdom of keeping up to date with your 'jabs.'

Best of luck.

Now I'm off to bed if my drunken neighbours are capable
of carrying the invalid to his sickbed. I think that
I may get to like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John

Old 09-09-2004, 09:50 PM
ex WGS Hamm

"John" wrote in message
[...]

If you have 'erisypalis' sp this is a disease pigs get. Not joking!

Old 09-09-2004, 10:55 PM
shazzbat

"ex WGS Hamm"

SNIP

If you have 'erisypalis' sp this is a disease pigs get. Not joking!

I've not had a jab for that, but I have for tetanus, will that do?

Incidentally and slightly OT, that's the first time I've heard mention of
WGS Hamm since leaving BAOR in 1979!

Steve

Old 10-09-2004, 12:21 PM
John

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 20:50:38 GMT, "ex WGS Hamm"
wrote:

"John" wrote in message
.. .
Last Sunday whilst carrying on with my garden re-design I was
knee-deep in lush garden loam when I grazed my ankle. Thinking

If you have 'erisypalis' sp this is a disease pigs get. Not joking!

================================
Oink!!!!!

Old 10-09-2004, 12:34 PM
John

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 22:55:30 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

"ex WGS Hamm"

SNIP

If you have 'erisypalis' sp this is a disease pigs get. Not joking!

I've not had a jab for that, but I have for tetanus, will that do? snip

I wouldn't know but Sacha - in beautiful Devon- suggested that...
http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic172.htm
may be helpful. It is.

John.
======================================

Old 10-09-2004, 09:36 PM
Neil

wrote:

I've not had a jab for that, but I have for tetanus, will that do?

Nope. Erysipelas is caused by Group A steptococci. So the tetanus jab
gives no protection whatsoever.

Neil

Old 10-09-2004, 09:43 PM
Nick Maclaren

wrote:

I've not had a jab for that, but I have for tetanus, will that do?

Nope. Erysipelas is caused by Group A steptococci. So the tetanus jab
gives no protection whatsoever.

Except against tetanus :-)

For the benefit of any newcomers, tetanus spores are found anywhere
there have been domestic animals within the past century or two,
and are carried when earth or manure is imported to a garden. The
risk of the injection is small (unless you react to it), and the
death rate from tetanus high, so you can guess what the general
advice is ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Several words to the wise William Hill Orchids 4 29-05-2004 08:03 PM
Real Words Iris Cohen Plant Science 0 20-10-2003 09:42 PM
[IBC] Words to live by! Carl L Rosner Bonsai 0 15-07-2003 12:24 AM
[IBC] Words to live by! Carl L Rosner Bonsai 0 15-07-2003 12:24 AM
Old-Growth "War of Words" in New York Times Aozotorp alt.forestry 0 20-12-2002 02:50 PM