Old 10-09-2004, 08:37 AM
Sacha

Default ?? African plant

I'm currently reading a book in which a 'flamboyant tree' is mentioned (as a
name, not a description) and bush tea. Please can anyone tell me what
either of these are?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 10-09-2004, 09:03 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Sacha wrote:
I'm currently reading a book in which a 'flamboyant tree' is mentioned (as a
name, not a description) and bush tea. Please can anyone tell me what
either of these are?

Poinciana regia. I did once hear the latter, but have forgotten.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:16 AM
Sacha

On 10/9/04 9:03, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha wrote:
I'm currently reading a book in which a 'flamboyant tree' is mentioned (as a
name, not a description) and bush tea. Please can anyone tell me what
either of these are?

Poinciana regia. I did once hear the latter, but have forgotten.

Thanks, Nick. I did a Google image search on it and it's a gorgeous thing
and well named in terms of flamboyance!
The only think I can think of tea wise is Rootbusch tea (sp?) which I saw in
South Africa and which is now very popular here. The book(s) are set in
Botswana so I imagine the same kind of plant would be used for tea there.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 10-09-2004, 09:23 AM
Pam Moore

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 08:37:00 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

I'm currently reading a book in which a 'flamboyant tree' is mentioned (as a
name, not a description) and bush tea. Please can anyone tell me what
either of these are?

Bush tea is I think Roi-bosch (sp?) which means red bush in Afrikaans
(sp) My South African friend drinks it.
If my spelling is wrong perhaps it was a typo!

Pam in Bristol
Old 10-09-2004, 09:36 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Pam Moore writes:

| Bush tea is I think Roi-bosch (sp?) which means red bush in Afrikaans
| (sp) My South African friend drinks it.
| If my spelling is wrong perhaps it was a typo!

Rooibos. As in rooinek. A.k.a. rozelle, a.k.a. Hibiscus
sabdariffa. No, that's not bush tea.

I have failed to grow rozelle and okra in a polytunnel - the
former didn't germinate, and the latter dropped leaves every
time the temperature dropped.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 10-09-2004, 11:12 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 10/9/04 9:03, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha wrote:
I'm currently reading a book in which a 'flamboyant tree' is mentioned

(as a
name, not a description) and bush tea. Please can anyone tell me what
either of these are?

Poinciana regia. I did once hear the latter, but have forgotten.

Thanks, Nick. I did a Google image search on it and it's a gorgeous thing
and well named in terms of flamboyance!
The only think I can think of tea wise is Rootbusch tea (sp?) which I saw

in
South Africa and which is now very popular here. The book(s) are set in
Botswana so I imagine the same kind of plant would be used for tea there.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

What about Leptospermum? they sometimes get called tea bushes or trees down
here (don't ask me why as they look nothing like a camellia!)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 10-09-2004, 11:26 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Charlie Pridham" writes:

| I'm currently reading a book in which a 'flamboyant tree' is mentioned
| (as a
| name, not a description) and bush tea. Please can anyone tell me what
| either of these are?
|
| Poinciana regia. I did once hear the latter, but have forgotten.
|
| Thanks, Nick. I did a Google image search on it and it's a gorgeous thing
| and well named in terms of flamboyance!
| The only think I can think of tea wise is Rootbusch tea (sp?) which I saw
| in
| South Africa and which is now very popular here. The book(s) are set in
| Botswana so I imagine the same kind of plant would be used for tea there.
|
| What about Leptospermum? they sometimes get called tea bushes or trees down
| here (don't ask me why as they look nothing like a camellia!)

'Ti' tree, I think.

No, it's not that. I recognise the reference, and it is a bush
whose leaves are used like mate.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-09-2004, 03:18 PM
Pam Moore

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 09:42:41 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

Thanks, Pam. I thought that was bush tea but Nick thinks not. Any day now,
I'll have to write to the author! The books are The First Ladies Detective
Agency, BTW. Enchanting!

I will check with my SA friend tonight. I think it was she who
mentioned those books to me.

Pam in Bristol
Old 10-09-2004, 03:51 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Pam Moore writes:
| On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 09:42:41 +0100, Sacha
| wrote:
|
| Thanks, Pam. I thought that was bush tea but Nick thinks not. Any day now,
| I'll have to write to the author! The books are The First Ladies Detective
| Agency, BTW. Enchanting!
|
| I will check with my SA friend tonight. I think it was she who
| mentioned those books to me.

Ah. The reference I saw was to Kenya, so there is no guarantee
it is the same plant.

Also, a quick search indicates that I may have got confused.
Hibiscus sabdariffa is certainly rozelle, and is certainly
drunk as an infusion, but DOESN'T seem to be rooibos. I.e.
the bush tea you are referring to may well be rooibos, which
is Aspalathus Linearis. See:

http://members.tripod.com/~Meerkat_2/erooibos.html

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 10-09-2004, 06:29 PM
Sacha

On 10/9/04 15:51, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

snip
the bush tea you are referring to may well be rooibos, which
is Aspalathus Linearis. See:

http://members.tripod.com/~Meerkat_2/erooibos.html

Yes, it is rooibos. I've just heard back from the friend who has just left
Gaborone. He says it tastes a little of honey.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 10-09-2004, 09:31 PM
Pam Moore

wrote:

I'm currently reading a book in which a 'flamboyant tree' is mentioned (as a
name, not a description) and bush tea. Please can anyone tell me what
either of these are?

Sacha, my SA friend confirms that bush tea is Rooibos (red bush). I
have tried it but would not drink it from choice.

Pam in Bristol
Old 11-09-2004, 12:08 PM
cross

Sacha, my SA friend confirms that bush tea is Rooibos (red bush). I
have tried it but would not drink it from choice.

I'll let you know. ;-) And thank you.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

---------------
Rooibos tea is readily available in health shops. I have some as loose tea
and as tea-bags.

I would say it is an aquired taste, but not at all bad ;-). It is
recommended as a slight sedative, so good for promoting sleep.

Marina
E. Sx

African Violet Plant Question ? Robert11[_2_] Gardening 2 13-02-2009 05:30 PM
unusual african "corn plant" blooms the moke monster Gardening 5 18-12-2003 08:33 PM
Help with a wierd succulent plant "African" sanseveria Shell91 Gardening 6 28-09-2003 01:32 PM
African violets cc0058529 Gardening 3 24-03-2003 10:08 PM
best way to water African Violets Iris Cohen Gardening 5 06-03-2003 05:39 AM