Old 12-09-2004, 07:36 PM
Andy Hunt

Delicious - but discard any bits on which the gills are darker than a
pale pink.

Wash, then halve the mushrooms and their stalks and fry in butter or
olive oil. (Most of a mushroom's flavour is oil-soluble.)

With the remainder of the fat and juices, make a roux, then (over heat!)
add white wine and a scrape of nutmeg until you have made a sauce.

Serving suggestion: On hot buttered toast, and covered in sauce. Or,
make the sauce very thick, and put sliced mushrooms and sauce in a
toasted sandwich maker.

Sounds absolutely delicious - have printed this one out!!! I'm hungry
already - thanks Rusty!

Andy

Old 12-09-2004, 08:43 PM
Michael Berridge

"Andy Hunt" wrote in message

Isn't there a fungus known as (very politically incorrectly) "Jews' ears"?

remember eating some when I was young after a mushroom hunt in Cwmbran,
Gwent . . .

Yes, it is a bracket fungus that grows on trees.

Mike

Old 12-09-2004, 08:54 PM
Stephen Howard

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 18:33:46 GMT, "Andy Hunt"
wrote:

Wood blewitts I think was one we found on the fungus foray
Tuffles
Shaggy ink caps

Giant puff ball
Boletes of various kinds (ceps)
Morels
That spiky hedgehoggy fungus
Oyster mushroom

... to name just a few.

Isn't there a fungus known as (very politically incorrectly) "Jews' ears"? I
remember eating some when I was young after a mushroom hunt in Cwmbran,
Gwent . . .

Yes.. it grows on Elder true..the legend being that this is the tree
that Judas hung himself from.
Needs a bit of preparation to make it palatable though.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 12-09-2004, 09:05 PM
Stephen Howard

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 20:54:24 +0100, Stephen Howard
wrote:

Yes.. it grows on Elder true..the legend being that this is the tree

.....................................^ trees!

Old 13-09-2004, 01:00 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Michael Berridge" contains these
words:
"Andy Hunt" wrote in message

Isn't there a fungus known as (very politically incorrectly) "Jews' ears"?

remember eating some when I was young after a mushroom hunt in Cwmbran,
Gwent . . .

Yes, it is a bracket fungus that grows on trees.

Especially on elder.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 13-09-2004, 01:04 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Stephen Howard contains these words:

Isn't there a fungus known as (very politically incorrectly) "Jews'
ears"? I
remember eating some when I was young after a mushroom hunt in Cwmbran,
Gwent . . .

Yes.. it grows on Elder true..the legend being that this is the tree
that Judas hung himself from.
Needs a bit of preparation to make it palatable though.

Nah, just let it dry, then powder it in a coffee-grinder. Add to soups,
stews, casseroles. Adds flavour and thickens it.

I do this with the less palatable (soft or slimy) boleti, and with old
specimens of other fungi.

It's a useful way of storing mushrooms - they reduce to a very small
volume, and keep indefinitely.

Old 13-09-2004, 09:36 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kay writes:

| Yes.. it grows on Elder true..the legend being that this is the tree
| that Judas hung himself from.
| Needs a bit of preparation to make it palatable though.
|
| I thought the Judas tree to be Cercis siquiliastrum, though given its full
| grown height, Judas must have been *very* short if he hanged himself from
| one of those!
|
| 12m? OK, a large proportion of that won't have boughs strong enough, but
| even so, that leaves enough for a good hanging.
|
| I looked it up, because my father's tree was certainly quite large
| before it finally died.

One of the legends of elder is that the reason it is no larger (and
has very brittle branches) is so that it can't be used for the same
purpose again.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-09-2004, 11:00 AM
Stephen Howard

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 01:04:04 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from Stephen Howard contains these words:

Isn't there a fungus known as (very politically incorrectly) "Jews'
ears"? I
remember eating some when I was young after a mushroom hunt in Cwmbran,
Gwent . . .

Yes.. it grows on Elder true..the legend being that this is the tree
that Judas hung himself from.
Needs a bit of preparation to make it palatable though.

Nah, just let it dry, then powder it in a coffee-grinder. Add to soups,
stews, casseroles. Adds flavour and thickens it.

I do this with the less palatable (soft or slimy) boleti, and with old
specimens of other fungi.

It's a useful way of storing mushrooms - they reduce to a very small
volume, and keep indefinitely.

Cool tip! Ta.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Old 18-09-2004, 03:29 PM
Franz Heymann

"Andy Hunt" wrote in message

Wood blewitts I think was one we found on the fungus foray
Tuffles
Shaggy ink caps

Giant puff ball
Boletes of various kinds (ceps)
Morels
That spiky hedgehoggy fungus
Oyster mushroom

... to name just a few.

Isn't there a fungus known as (very politically incorrectly) "Jews'

ears"? I
remember eating some when I was young after a mushroom hunt in

Cwmbran,
Gwent . . .

If I may refer to Belgian chocolates, or Boerewors, why may I not
refer to Jews'
ears?
But more to the point, I always look out for them whenever I pass an
old elder copse.

Franz

Old 18-09-2004, 03:29 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

Wood blewitts I think was one we found on the fungus foray
Tuffles
Shaggy ink caps

Giant puff ball
Boletes of various kinds (ceps)
Morels
That spiky hedgehoggy fungus
Oyster mushroom

... to name just a few.

Isn't there a fungus known as (very politically incorrectly) "Jews'

ears"? I
remember eating some when I was young after a mushroom hunt in

Cwmbran,
Gwent . . .

Yes.. it grows on Elder true..the legend being that this is the tree
that Judas hung himself from.
Needs a bit of preparation to make it palatable though.

Not at all. Unless you call slicing it and frying it gently in garlic
butter counts as preparation.
The word "palatable" is not applicable to Jew's Ears. The appropriate
adjective is "delicious".

[snip]

Franz