Old 10-09-2004, 08:46 PM
Andy Hunt

Default Shaggy ink caps

I have some coming up in one of my tyre pots, and I believe they're edible.

Does anyone know how to cook/prepare them at all?

Thanks

Andy
http://greencottage.burysolarclub.net

Old 10-09-2004, 10:12 PM
Gary Woods

"Andy Hunt" wrote:

I have some coming up in one of my tyre pots, and I believe they're edible.

Does anyone know how to cook/prepare them at all?

IF they're the same ones that grow in the U.S., just sautee briefly in a
little olive oil, garlic/onions to taste. They don't keep long, going inky
and mushy quickly.

Old 10-09-2004, 10:29 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:
"Andy Hunt" wrote:

I have some coming up in one of my tyre pots, and I believe they're edible.

Does anyone know how to cook/prepare them at all?

IF they're the same ones that grow in the U.S., just sautee briefly in a
little olive oil, garlic/onions to taste. They don't keep long, going inky
and mushy quickly.

And don't drink alcohol when eating them. Seriously.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-09-2004, 10:55 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Andy Hunt" contains these words:

I have some coming up in one of my tyre pots, and I believe they're edible.

Does anyone know how to cook/prepare them at all?

Delicious - but discard any bits on which the gills are darker than a
pale pink.

Wash, then halve the mushrooms and their stalks and fry in butter or
olive oil. (Most of a mushroom's flavour is oil-soluble.)

With the remainder of the fat and juices, make a roux, then (over heat!)
add white wine and a scrape of nutmeg until you have made a sauce.

Serving suggestion: On hot buttered toast, and covered in sauce. Or,
make the sauce very thick, and put sliced mushrooms and sauce in a
toasted sandwich maker.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 11-09-2004, 12:08 AM
atwifa

I have some coming up in one of my tyre pots, and I believe they're edible.

they are indeed edible, when matured to a degree; but there are other
species that look similar, and certainly are not edible ... are you sure you
have the fungi you think?

Old 11-09-2004, 12:28 AM
Anna Kettle

Delicious - but discard any bits

You know about 'shrooms too?!

Last year I went on a fungus foray and discovered beefsteak fungus
which is lovely and bloody and tastes of lemon. Then I was told that
there are six fungi worth eating in England and that beefsteak fungus
is one of them

What are the others?

Field mushroom
um
Chantarelle do you get that here or only in France?
Wood blewitts I think was one we found on the fungus foray
Tuffles
Shaggy ink caps

???

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642
Old 11-09-2004, 12:38 AM
Stephen Howard

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 22:28:07 GMT, (Anna Kettle)
wrote:

Delicious - but discard any bits

You know about 'shrooms too?!

Last year I went on a fungus foray and discovered beefsteak fungus
which is lovely and bloody and tastes of lemon. Then I was told that
there are six fungi worth eating in England and that beefsteak fungus
is one of them

What are the others?

Field mushroom
um
Chantarelle do you get that here or only in France?
Wood blewitts I think was one we found on the fungus foray
Tuffles
Shaggy ink caps

???

Parasol mushrooms are excellent...though some people might find the
shaggy variety disagrees with them.
Likewise, some people ( i.e. me! ) can't tolerate wood blewits...had
to try twice just to make sure.

Giant puffballs are wonderful - and quite mild in flavour, so even
unadventurous gourmets can be persuaded to have a go! Coated in beaten
egg yolk and sauteed, they taste wonderful. Great with chips!

Wood mushrooms are delightful, slightly more aniseedy than field
mushrooms...and horse mushrooms are also excellent.

The Cauliflower fungus is a rare treat...I've only ever found one
edible specimen, and I'd just love to find another...and another...and
another...

Chicken of the woods is an unmistakable one - big, yellow 'brackets'
hanging off tree trunks. Good in stews.

Chuck in the fairy ring champignon, the St.George's mushroom etc etc
and then all the 'boletus' fungi....

I think there are rather more than half a dozen decent 'eaters' out
there...and a good many more 'fillers'.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 11-09-2004, 10:18 AM
Kay

In article , Anna Kettle
writes
Delicious - but discard any bits

You know about 'shrooms too?!

Last year I went on a fungus foray and discovered beefsteak fungus
which is lovely and bloody and tastes of lemon. Then I was told that
there are six fungi worth eating in England and that beefsteak fungus
is one of them

Only six?
that seems a very personal view

What are the others?

Field mushroom
um
Chantarelle do you get that here or only in France?

here too.

Wood blewitts I think was one we found on the fungus foray
Tuffles
Shaggy ink caps

Giant puff ball
Boletes of various kinds (ceps)
Morels
That spiky hedgehoggy fungus
Oyster mushroom

.... to name just a few.
--
Kay

Old 11-09-2004, 11:02 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

Perfectly OK to drink alcohol with *SHAGGY* ink caps. Just don't try it
with the common ink cap, Coprinus atramantarius.

Very difficult to confuse C altramantarius with the shaggy ink cap, the
former being smooth, brownish and much fatter.

I have seen it reported in reliable places that a small proportion
of people react to the combination of alcohol and shaggy caps.
Yes, the other one is notorious, and was the original source of
Antabuse.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:28 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from (Anna Kettle) contains these words:

Delicious - but discard any bits

You know about 'shrooms too?!

Been into mushrooms since I was ten. In the Scouts my nickname was 'Fungus'.

Last year I went on a fungus foray and discovered beefsteak fungus
which is lovely and bloody and tastes of lemon. Then I was told that
there are six fungi worth eating in England and that beefsteak fungus
is one of them

IMO beefsteak fungus is edible, but little more. There are hundreds of
better culinary delights in the fun gus whirled.

What are the others?

About 33 varieties of Agaricus; more than a dozen Boleti; Shaggy ink
caps; chanterelles, girolles and horn of plenty (properly, what is
called 'chanterelle' in this country is a 'girolle': the chanterelle is
a smaller brown and yellow relative.); Amanita rubescens, A. s****a, A.
solitaria (but you have to be *VERY* *VERY* sure!); Amanitopsis fulva,
A. fulva; (Lepiota) Parasol mushroom, shaggy parasol; Lepiota mastoidea;
Many Tricholomacę, esp blewit/blueleg/bluestalk, wood blewit, St.
George's mushroom, (Tricholomopsis) Plums and custard; Sperassis crispa
- looks like a big bath sponge; many puffballs; Hedgehog - Hydnum
rapandum; Leucopaxillus giganteus; clouded agaric; aniseed toadstool,
common funnel cup; deceiver and amathyst deceiver; honey fungus; Pluteus
umbrosus, P. cervinus; butter cap; velvet shank (but be careful not to
confuse it with the poisonous sulphur tuft); many Hygrophorus species;
meadow wax cap; blackening wax cap; scarlet hood; crimson wax cap; fairy
ring mushroom (Marasmius oreades); Mycena pura; chicken of the woods;
Lactarius piperatus (dried and ground for flavouring); Saffron milk cap
(Lactarius deliciosus); Lactarius volemus; several more Lactarii, but
there are several poisonous relatives; dozens of Russalę, (39 listed as
edible in Phillips) esp charcoal burner - but... ; morels; some of the
club, coral and bracket fungi; Jew's ear; scarlet elf cup and orange
peel fungus.

The French eat the dried stipes of the stinkhorn, but then, the French
would, innit.

Field mushroom
um
Chantarelle do you get that here or only in France?

In wet and usually soft water areas IME. The west of Scotland is a
marvellous place for them - if by chanterelle you mean 'girolle' -
yellow and trumpet-shaped, branched veins instead of gills, smells of
peaches/apricots.

Wood blewitts I think was one we found on the fungus foray

Excellent mushroom!

Tuffles

Not easily found - unless you know how.

Shaggy ink caps

I generally eat only the shaggy ink cap, though there are a few more
Coprinus species which can be eaten. The common ink cap has horrid
effects on you if you
a) have any alcohol in your system
b) take alcohol with it
c) consume alcohol for up to three days after eating them.

Best avoided, unless you are TT.

???

Yes, now that one is delicious, but no-one knows where it grows.

Old 12-09-2004, 08:29 PM
Andy Hunt

I have some coming up in one of my tyre pots, and I believe they're

edible.

they are indeed edible, when matured to a degree; but there are other
species that look similar, and certainly are not edible ... are you sure

you
have the fungi you think?

I think so . . . I will definitely check first though! Thanks!

Andy

Old 12-09-2004, 08:33 PM
Andy Hunt

Wood blewitts I think was one we found on the fungus foray
Tuffles
Shaggy ink caps

Giant puff ball
Boletes of various kinds (ceps)
Morels
That spiky hedgehoggy fungus
Oyster mushroom

... to name just a few.

Isn't there a fungus known as (very politically incorrectly) "Jews' ears"? I
remember eating some when I was young after a mushroom hunt in Cwmbran,
Gwent . . .

Andy