GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   berberis propagation (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/83312-berberis-propagation.html)

Oxymel of Squill 10-09-2004 10:33 PM

berberis propagation

my wonderful thorny berberis has a lot of new growth. I'd like to propagate
it and eventually make it into a hedge. Does anyone know how? Do I just chop
bits off and poke them into the ground and wait for them to root, or is
there more technique involved?
thanks
Ginny

Nick Maclaren 11-09-2004 10:04 AM

In article ,
Oxymel of Squill wrote:
my wonderful thorny berberis has a lot of new growth. I'd like to propagate
it and eventually make it into a hedge. Does anyone know how? Do I just chop
bits off and poke them into the ground and wait for them to root, or is
there more technique involved?

Pots of sharp sand are better, and some bottom heat may help, but
you have it right. However, the deciduous berberis are right
beggars to propagate.

Nick.