Old 11-09-2004, 04:28 PM
Registered User

Default How to look after Bonsai ?

OK,

I'm no expert on Bonsai whatsoever.

I've had a small Bonsai now for 2 months and he's not very well at the moment.

I understand that you're supposed to water them daily and also, cut off the leaves from time to time ?

Is this correct ?
Old 11-09-2004, 05:47 PM
Kay

In article , Conks Conks.1cfevn@n
ews.gardenbanter.co.uk writes

OK,

I'm no expert on Bonsai whatsoever.

I've had a small Bonsai now for 2 months and he's not very well at the
moment.

In what way not well?

I understand that you're supposed to water them daily

Only if they need it! Very few plants like to stay in permanently soggy
soil.

and also, cut off
the leaves from time to time ?

No, but you can take out the biggest leaf at the end of the branch to
try to encourage smaller leaves.

Any idea what kind of bonsai? Most are hardy trees, and they will prefer
to be outside all the time. There are also some sold as 'indoor bonsai'
which aren't hardy and can't stay out in winter, but they'd probably
prefer to be outside at the moment to get higher light levels.
--
Kay

Old 11-09-2004, 09:32 PM
Pam Moore

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 16:28:58 +0100, Conks
wrote:

I'm no expert on Bonsai whatsoever.
I've had a small Bonsai now for 2 months and he's not very well at the
moment.
I understand that you're supposed to water them daily and also, cut off
the leaves from time to time ?

First, what species of tree do ou have?
Is it indoors or out?
If it is outdoors, in a sunny place and in a small pot it will need
watering every day, even more in hot weather if it is growing
vigorously. As with any pot plant you must judge when it is dry.

Leaf pruning is only done occasionally, with VERY healthy trees, of
certain species, at a specific time of year, and by experts who know
whtat they are doing. I only tried it once in over 30 years of
messing about with bonsai. You need to read up about it.

Kay's question "In what way not well?" is crucial. If you have let it
dry out it may or may not recover. If it is a common tree which grows
in our climate it must stay outdoors, though young trees would be
better with winter protection.
If it is an indoor one, keep it in good light but out of full sun.
Once established bonsai are root pruned before growth starts again in
Spring, but only when they get pot bound. Go gently though! Then you
also need to trim the top lightly to a pleasing shape.
Go to the library and get a couple of books if you intend to follow
this up, but answer our questions about what is wrong and what species
of tree, and we can maybe help more.
Did it come from a garden centre or supermarket? Many have
mass-produced rubbish for sale. Do you live anywhere near a bonsai
nursery? They will give you good advice.

Pam in Bristol
Old 11-09-2004, 09:38 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Conks contains these words:

OK,

I'm no expert on Bonsai whatsoever.

I've had a small Bonsai now for 2 months and he's not very well at the
moment.

I understand that you're supposed to water them daily and also, cut off
the leaves from time to time ?

Is this correct ?

Where's Graham Norton when you need him? He'll give you chapter and
verse - or do I mean root and branch?

I'll see if I can find him...

--
Rusty