Old 11-09-2004, 03:26 PM
Chris Hogg

Default Planting depths for bulbs

The general rule for bulbs is to plant them at a depth roughly twice
that of the bulb itself. Either that or some types have specific
depths recommended for them. But I have up to three inches of coarse
mulch on my flower beds (shredded hedge trimmings etc). Do I include
this when estimating planting depth, or do I ignore it, scrape it
aside and plant at the appropriate depth in the underlying soil? If
the former, then for many smaller bulbs they wouldn't actually be in
the soil at all, but just in the mulch, which doesn't seem right.

--
Chris

Old 11-09-2004, 10:19 PM
Spider

Chris Hogg wrote in message
The general rule for bulbs is to plant them at a depth roughly twice
that of the bulb itself. Either that or some types have specific
depths recommended for them. But I have up to three inches of coarse
mulch on my flower beds (shredded hedge trimmings etc). Do I include
this when estimating planting depth, or do I ignore it, scrape it
aside and plant at the appropriate depth in the underlying soil? If
the former, then for many smaller bulbs they wouldn't actually be in
the soil at all, but just in the mulch, which doesn't seem right.

--
Chris

Hi Chris,
No, it wouldn't be right. Any bulb simply planted in the mulch would be a
gift for birds, mice, squirrels, etc.
Ignore the mulch. Take the soil surface as your working stratum and plant
below it as per instruction for each bulb type.
Spider

Old 12-09-2004, 08:43 PM
Chris Hogg

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 22:19:45 +0100, "Spider"
wrote:

Hi Chris,
No, it wouldn't be right. Any bulb simply planted in the mulch would be a
gift for birds, mice, squirrels, etc.
Ignore the mulch. Take the soil surface as your working stratum and plant
below it as per instruction for each bulb type.
Spider

Thanks Spider. That's what I suspected, but I'm grateful for the
confirmation.

--
Chris

Old 12-09-2004, 09:07 PM
Victoria Clare

"Spider" wrote in
:

Hi Chris,
No, it wouldn't be right. Any bulb simply planted in the mulch would
be a gift for birds, mice, squirrels, etc.

If you have very heavy/wet soil though, a mulch can be a way of growing
bulbs that would otherwise rot. You simply put small bulbs on the soil
surface, and stick the mulch on the top. Works very well for crocus, for
example.

I did this successfully, (though it was not a garden that had problems
with bird or mouse attacks: in fact most of the time I was there, the bird
population was spookily low: it's weird how you notice the absence of
birdsong...)

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 14-09-2004, 06:18 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hogg
The general rule for bulbs is to plant them at a depth roughly twice
that of the bulb itself. Either that or some types have specific
depths recommended for them. But I have up to three inches of coarse
mulch on my flower beds (shredded hedge trimmings etc). Do I include
this when estimating planting depth, or do I ignore it, scrape it
aside and plant at the appropriate depth in the underlying soil? If
the former, then for many smaller bulbs they wouldn't actually be in
the soil at all, but just in the mulch, which doesn't seem right.

--
Chris

I've always heard that it doesn't matter as the bulbs pull or push themselves to the correct depth
__________________
laura

Old 15-09-2004, 08:20 AM
Kay

In article , laura laura.1clfjp@n
ews.gardenbanter.co.uk writes

Chris Hogg Wrote:
The general rule for bulbs is to plant them at a depth roughly twice
that of the bulb itself. Either that or some types have specific
depths recommended for them. But I have up to three inches of coarse
mulch on my flower beds (shredded hedge trimmings etc). Do I include
this when estimating planting depth, or do I ignore it, scrape it
aside and plant at the appropriate depth in the underlying soil? If
the former, then for many smaller bulbs they wouldn't actually be in
the soil at all, but just in the mulch, which doesn't seem right.

I've always heard that it doesn't matter as the bulbs pull or push
themselves to the correct depth

Wishful thinking, I think. Or else Allium moly *enjoys* rolling around
on the surface ;-)
--
Kay

Old 18-09-2004, 03:29 PM
Franz Heymann

"laura" wrote in message

[snip]

I've always heard that it doesn't matter as the bulbs pull or push
themselves to the correct depth

Why then do half of my Kaufmannia tulips always lie on top of the soil
this time of the year?

Franz

Old 18-09-2004, 09:01 PM
Franz Heymann

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in
message ...
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains

these words:

"laura" wrote in message

[snip]

I've always heard that it doesn't matter as the bulbs pull or

push
themselves to the correct depth

Why then do half of my Kaufmannia tulips always lie on top of the

soil
this time of the year?

They're trying to escape from your garden?

Could be.

Or squirrels.

No squirrels, no mice, but vast hordes of jackdaws. However, I have
never seen them rooting around in the soil. They content themselves
with stealing what they can from the bird feeding sites.

Franz

Old 19-09-2004, 10:45 AM
Franz Heymann

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 22:08:23 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 18/9/04 20:25, in article

,
"Janet Baraclough.." wrote:

The message
from "Franz Heymann"

contains
these words:

"laura" wrote in

message

[snip]

I've always heard that it doesn't matter as the bulbs pull or

push
themselves to the correct depth

Why then do half of my Kaufmannia tulips always lie on top of

the
soil
this time of the year?

They're trying to escape from your garden? Or squirrels.

Janet

I hate to add to a possible myth but I do remember an old

gardener
telling
me this about tulip bulbs - that they somehow 'work' themselves

the
surface. And a few months back I read a book written by a woman

making a
garden in France who recommended planting tulip bulbs at least 9"

deep to
get the best results.
Van Tubergen are now selling tulip trays. You fill these

circular
trays
with soil and bulbs, plant them and then, when the tulips are

finished, take
them up, still filled with soil and put them somewhere out of

sight
to let
the tulip foliage finish.

How about just planting them in ordinary plastic pots and sink them
into the soil?

The bowl has a bottom like a sieve to allow the roots to grow

through
see picture
http://www.vantubergen.nl/media/9753.jpg

We've used them. My wife thinks the diameter 30cm is a bit small.

Three for Euro4.90 incl VAT p&p

Hey, they sound like the cat's whiskers.
What is the approximate depth?

I am considering using them for a production line wormery. When the
worms have done one bowlful in, start another one on top. When you
have a stack of three, harvest the bottom one and keep it in readiness
for the next top unit.

Franz

Old 19-09-2004, 11:04 AM
Sacha

On 18/9/04 23:08, in article , "Franz
Heymann" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...

snip
I hate to add to a possible myth but I do remember an old gardener

telling
me this about tulip bulbs - that they somehow 'work' themselves to

the
surface. And a few months back I read a book written by a woman

making a
garden in France who recommended planting tulip bulbs at least 9"

deep to
get the best results.
Van Tubergen are now selling tulip trays. You fill these circular

trays
with soil and bulbs, plant them and then, when the tulips are

finished, take
them up, still filled with soil and put them somewhere out of sight

to let
the tulip foliage finish.

How about just planting them in ordinary plastic pots and sink them
into the soil?

You could certainly do that but I think these planters would make for a more
interesting arrangement of the bulbs. From what I remember it's a hollow
ring, so the bulbs would be more spread out and something to come on later
could go directly into the earth in the middle. Then when you lift the ring
out of the ground, you won't be left with nothing there at all, as you would
be with a pot.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 19-09-2004, 05:10 PM
Franz Heymann

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 09:45:10 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 22:08:23 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 18/9/04 20:25, in article
,
"Janet Baraclough.."

wrote:

The message
from "Franz Heymann"

contains
these words:

"laura" wrote in

message

[snip]

[...]

About 10 cm.

I am considering using them for a production line wormery. When

the
worms have done one bowlful in, start another one on top. When you
have a stack of three, harvest the bottom one and keep it in

readiness
for the next top unit.

Van Tubergen only seem to sell them in threes

That's the number I would need.

Isn't the bottom a bit too open to retain worms?

You tell me. I haven't seen them yet.

You could probably do the same on a larger scale with a pvc laundry
basket.

I am thinking only of disposing of the vegetable kitchen waste this
way. Since there are only 2 of us in this menage, I doubt if we would
need bigger units. (Assuming that the worms are as voracious as they
say)

Franz

Old 19-09-2004, 05:10 PM
Franz Heymann

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 18/9/04 23:08, in article ,

"Franz
Heymann" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...

snip
[...]

I must be missing a trick somewhere. What purpose does the ring
serve? I thought the idea was to allow you to remove the bulbs soil
and all to somewhere else to mature, so that the ground becomes
available for something else for the rest of the season.

Franz

planting bulbs manxman United Kingdom 11 03-10-2004 05:05 PM
Water temps at various depths Ka30P Ponds 8 07-09-2004 05:27 AM
Water temps at various depths Roy Ponds 5 07-09-2004 05:27 AM
Planting Bulbs? Dan Keeley United Kingdom 4 12-10-2003 08:22 PM
Late planting bulbs newbie Guy Smith United Kingdom 3 10-03-2003 09:32 AM