Old 15-09-2004, 08:32 PM
Peter Crosland

Twaddle! Chaucer was writing in the Middle English period. Modern
English followed hundreds of years later.

Chaucer is generally reckoned to be the first author who wrote
in modern English. Most literary readers can read Chaucer; few
can read Middle English.

As I said before twaddle! It still does not make it modern English.

Old 15-09-2004, 08:49 PM
Cereus-validus

As usual Janet, the extent of your botanical knowledge is far less than
adequate.

Griseus is the word.

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

Is it me or is there a mistake in this weeks garden news crossword.
I have completed all but 9 across which is left

g-i-e-s

clue
"Species name meaning grey.

I always believed glauca meant grey, well blue grey anyway. Is there a
name for specifically 'grey' ?
I have looked in all the RHS books I own but can't find the answer, also
on the web each answer seems to be glauca

Glauca= glaucous, a bluish or greenish bloom or film.
Cinerea = ash grey (ash as in fireplace)
Argentea =silvery
incana =grey-downy

none of which fit, though cinerea has the right number of letters

:-0

Janet.

Old 16-09-2004, 12:42 AM
Janet Galpin

The message
from "Peter Crosland" contains these words:

While it was less volatile than English, remember that Chaucer was
writing modern English just 600 years ago.

Twaddle! Chaucer was writing in the Middle English period. Modern English
followed hundreds of years later.

Chaucer died in 1400. He was writing right at the end of the Middle
English period. Early Modern English is reckoned to begin either from
1450 or 1500, depending on the linguist. Not exactly hundreds of years.
Janet G