Old 12-09-2004, 05:33 PM
Registered User

Question wild horse radish

anyone know if it is legal to dig wild horse radish from banksides and hedgerows /
Old 13-09-2004, 12:58 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from bill flinn contains
these words:

anyone know if it is legal to dig wild horse radish from banksides and
hedgerows /

Technically, you should ask the landowner - probably the Highways
Department. Practically, I don't expect they'd mind.

*HOWEVER* - you ought to be careful that they haven't been regularly
sprayed with weedkiller...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 13-09-2004, 09:10 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
bill flinn writes:

| anyone know if it is legal to dig wild horse radish from banksides and
| hedgerows /

It used to be, until a recent poxious government introduced the
equivalent of the Norman game laws for wild plants. Just don't
get caught.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-09-2004, 03:29 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades writes:
| |
| | anyone know if it is legal to dig wild horse radish from banksides and
| | hedgerows /
|
| It used to be, until a recent poxious government introduced the
| equivalent of the Norman game laws for wild plants. Just don't
| get caught.
|
| I don't think horserubbish counts - it's an alien species, and can be
| treated as a weed.

Not according to that Act of Rights Theft, it can't!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 13-09-2004, 09:59 PM
suspicious minds

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades writes:
| |
| | anyone know if it is legal to dig wild horse radish from banksides
and
| | hedgerows /
|
| It used to be, until a recent poxious government introduced the
| equivalent of the Norman game laws for wild plants. Just don't
| get caught.
|
| I don't think horserubbish counts - it's an alien species, and can be
| treated as a weed.

Not according to that Act of Rights Theft, it can't!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren

..
Unlikely to be theft (but possible), but it is illegal to uproot any wild
plant under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 see
http://www.habitat.org.uk/statprot.htm

Old 13-09-2004, 10:29 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Cerumen" contains these
words:

I don't think horserubbish counts - it's an alien species, and can be
treated as a weed.

As is sycamore? and many others, somehow I think not but could be wrong.

W. Keble Martin says: "an ancient introduction." (Concise British Flora
- or, airline margarine pack.)

Old 14-09-2004, 08:49 AM
Cerumen

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Cerumen" contains these
words:

I don't think horserubbish counts - it's an alien species, and can

be
treated as a weed.

As is sycamore? and many others, somehow I think not but could be

wrong.

W. Keble Martin says: "an ancient introduction." (Concise British Flora

Yes and a recent native woodland survey here refused to include woodland
with sycamore (and many other common trees) as native which was why it
sprang to mind.

--

Chris Thomas
West Cork

Old 14-09-2004, 09:55 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"suspicious minds" writes:

| Not according to that Act of Rights Theft, it can't!
| .
| Unlikely to be theft (but possible), but it is illegal to uproot any wild
| plant under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 see
| http://www.habitat.org.uk/statprot.htm

I wasn't being clear. The parsing was Act of "Rights Theft". I.e.
that Act sole rights from the public to give to the "landowners"
in similar ways to the Norman game laws and the Enclosures Acts.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 14-09-2004, 12:28 PM
Des Higgins

"Cerumen" wrote in message

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Cerumen" contains these
words:

I don't think horserubbish counts - it's an alien species, and can

be
treated as a weed.

As is sycamore? and many others, somehow I think not but could be

wrong.

W. Keble Martin says: "an ancient introduction." (Concise British Flora

Yes and a recent native woodland survey here refused to include woodland
with sycamore (and many other common trees) as native which was why it
sprang to mind.

Beech and Sycamore are not native in Ireland. Beech is harmless enough and
certainly makes for wonderful specimen trees. Sycamore is a bit of a weed.
I would rather see sycamores than no trees at all but they are invasive and
can edge out native species (of tree and woodland flora). I repeat and
stress that I would prefer to see sycamores than no trees at all but it is
not a priority to preserve them.

I THINK (but could easily be wrong) that Beech is native in s.England??

--

Chris Thomas
West Cork

Old 14-09-2004, 04:34 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Cerumen" contains these
words:

W. Keble Martin says: "an ancient introduction." (Concise British Flora

Yes and a recent native woodland survey here refused to include woodland
with sycamore (and many other common trees) as native which was why it
sprang to mind.

By 'ancient' I would understand neolithic times. How picky can you get?

Old 14-09-2004, 04:37 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Des Higgins" contains these words:

I THINK (but could easily be wrong) that Beech is native in s.England??

Certainly native, and it prefers calcarious soils, which are abundant in
the south, but not unknown throughout the country.

Old 14-09-2004, 09:16 PM
Cerumen

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Cerumen" contains these
words:

W. Keble Martin says: "an ancient introduction." (Concise British

Flora

Yes and a recent native woodland survey here refused to include

woodland
with sycamore (and many other common trees) as native which was why

it
sprang to mind.

By 'ancient' I would understand neolithic times. How picky can you get?

I'm not picky, those who did the survey were. Apparently if it wasn't here
before we were isolated by water it's not native.

--

Chris Thomas
West Cork

Old 15-09-2004, 09:22 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Cerumen" writes:

| By 'ancient' I would understand neolithic times. How picky can you get?
|
| I'm not picky, those who did the survey were. Apparently if it wasn't here
| before we were isolated by water it's not native.

An interesting definition. There have certainly been several birds
that have established here without direct human involvement, and I
think that there have been some plants.

But, if I recall, there is also one which established itself in the
UK by natural hybridisation between an introduced species and a
native one. Now, that is clearly a good species, and the usual
interpretation is that it would be native to somewhere. But, if
not the UK, where? Cockaigne?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

horse radish how to kill it [email protected] Gardening 3 05-06-2005 02:37 AM
Horse Radish Andrew United Kingdom 2 25-04-2005 10:24 AM
Wild wild rocket Mike Lyle United Kingdom 28 01-08-2004 09:51 PM
radish for all seasons John Savage Australia 1 01-04-2003 01:32 PM
Chinese or Japanese Icicle Radish Paul England United Kingdom 4 27-01-2003 02:32 PM