Old 13-09-2004, 05:56 PM
Jim

Default Garden vac and slate chippings

Evening all,

Hope you can help me. Does anyone have any idea of how the run garden vacs
would deal with leaves/hedge clippings on crushed slate. Are they so
powerful that they will suck up the slate up as well as the leaf litter/
hedge trimmings etc or conversley are they too wimpy to even deal with the
leaves themselves

Thanks

Jim

Old 13-09-2004, 07:15 PM
Oxymel of Squill

mine's a power devil, I find PD much better than Black & Decker anything,
but it isn't happy with wet leaves, won't suck them up, likes them bone dry,
in which case it delivers an excellent layer of compostable powder. I doubt
it would pull up stones, although you do get just the occasional loud bang
from the fan end, nothing serious yet.

hope that helps
Jon

. ..

Old 13-09-2004, 07:47 PM
Steve - www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk

"Jim" wrote in message
. ..
Evening all,

Hope you can help me. Does anyone have any idea of how the run garden

vacs
would deal with leaves/hedge clippings on crushed slate. Are they so
powerful that they will suck up the slate up as well as the leaf litter/
hedge trimmings etc or conversley are they too wimpy to even deal with the
leaves themselves

Thanks

Jim

I bought a Flymo Vac for just that. Slate in one area and stones in the
other..

On the slate you may get the odd bit being pulled up, the small light bits,
but apart from that it will pull the leaves etc away very well, its not
perfect but its much easier as slate is a real pain to tidy.

The gravel is better as you can dig the nose of the Vac in and separate the
leaves that have been covered a little.

If you are not sure, see if you can hire one.
Steve

The UK SpeedTrap Guide" @ www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk
The UK Weather Guide" @ www.ukstorms.com

Old 13-09-2004, 09:28 PM
keith Alexander

I have had both B+D and Flymo recently

The B&D was a far better tool much more powerful and better balanced in use
but like most of the recent B&D products suffers from being really cheap and
nasty.

The impeller also doubles up as the blades that do the shredding. After only
a few weeks of use the nut holding it on either loosened (or maybe it was
loose on delivery) and it allowed the impellor to slip on its shaft the
resultant friction caused the plastic hole in the impellor to deform and the
whole thing then flew off and caused internal damage to the unit.

When I inspected this I knew the problem would re occur if I got a new
impellor so it went back to Argos for a refund.

I then bought the flymo it has lasted longer but that is because I often
find it inadequate and end up resorting to rake and broom. it has a
replaceable strimmer type blade.

It is really horrible to operate as I find I have to stoop when using it
causing a degree of back ache it is not very powerful and when used on
gravel or slate is really a waste of time unless dealing with ultra light
material conifer hedge clippings for example defeat it completely whereas
the B&D would take them up easily.

If the B&D had a serious blade made of metal fitted on the end of a proper
motor shaft with a woodruff key to prevent slippage it would suit me very
well.

Also if I had known how poor the Flymo performance was beforehand I would
have got another B&D and beefed up the impeller mounting first.

rgds
Keith

. ..

Old slate roof tiles as decorative mulch or any other garden use ??? Uncle-C United Kingdom 7 28-03-2007 07:03 PM
What depth of bark chippings? Peter Ashby United Kingdom 2 01-05-2004 09:06 PM
Strange white gas from bark chippings ...!? al United Kingdom 6 16-11-2003 06:02 PM
Limestone chippings - kill plants? Fish United Kingdom 0 30-06-2003 06:56 PM
Source of wood chippings and plastic membrane please John Towill United Kingdom 3 27-05-2003 10:44 PM