GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mad azaleas (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/83591-mad-azaleas.html)

John Edgar 14-09-2004 05:06 PM

Mad azaleas

This spring our azaleas, which normally have flowered profusely at
that time, did nothing. Now they have flowers on them. What is going
on?
John
In limine sapientiae

Chris Hogg 16-09-2004 06:07 PM

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 17:06:11 +0100, John Edgar
wrote:

This spring our azaleas, which normally have flowered profusely at
that time, did nothing. Now they have flowers on them. What is going
on?
John
In limine sapientiae

It's not uncommon for rhododendrons and azaleas to have a few flowers
in the autumn. There are not usually very many and seem to depend on
the weather.

Remember they set their buds in the autumn, so if the weather last
year was unfavourable in some way, buds may not have formed or they
dropped off, resulting in no flowers this spring.

--
Chris

Tiger303 17-09-2004 10:10 AM

i'm no expert, but last years dry weather could be the reason the didn't bloom in spring as i understand azaleas need moist soil to produce flower buds, which is why they are flowering now