Old 15-09-2004, 03:59 PM
alfie

Default Garden Sheds

Hi there. I am in the process of buying a garden shed and was wondering if
anyone can point me in the right direction as to where I can get a
reasonably priced one. The size I am looking for is around 2.5m x 1.75m.
Also, is it reasonable to place a shed of this size on concrete paving slabs
laid straight on the ground or should I first lay some hardcore or the like
before laying the slabs?

Please excuse my ignorance as I have just arrived in the country a few
months ago and I'm in the process of doing up my garden.

Regards,

Alfie

Old 15-09-2004, 05:23 PM
Helen Hartley

"alfie" wrote in message
Hi there. I am in the process of buying a garden shed and was wondering

if
anyone can point me in the right direction as to where I can get a
reasonably priced one. The size I am looking for is around 2.5m x 1.75m.

I have been looking at sheds recently. We want a 12' x 10' one (I think
bigger than you are looking for approx 3.6m x 3m?).

I am swinging between the cheap and cheerful Waltons Workshop approx £700
(avail at B&Q) and the quality Malvern Heavy Duty Apex approx £1200
(various places).

Also, is it reasonable to place a shed of this size on concrete paving

slabs
laid straight on the ground or should I first lay some hardcore or the

like
before laying the slabs?

I believe this depends on the soil type. If it contains a high propotion of
clay it is important to put in a sub base, otherwise if fairly free draining
soil, slabs should be fine.

Please excuse my ignorance as I have just arrived in the country a few
months ago and I'm in the process of doing up my garden.

Good Luck with the garden.

Helen

Old 16-09-2004, 01:40 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , alfie
writes
Hi there. I am in the process of buying a garden shed and was wondering if
anyone can point me in the right direction as to where I can get a
reasonably priced one.

Look in your yellow pages, there will be plenty of local suppliers -
have a look at a few, if you can find one, a local saw mill or somewhere
that builds their own to order is good if you something specific.

The size I am looking for is around 2.5m x 1.75m.

They are mostly given in imperial - that's be about 8 feet x 6 feet.

Also, is it reasonable to place a shed of this size on concrete paving slabs
laid straight on the ground or should I first lay some hardcore or the like
before laying the slabs?

Not straight on the ground no, but laid onto sharp sand they will be
fine. Though I don't think this gives enough ventilation to the base

Though as a shed base I prefer to lay cross timbers - either laid on
bricks/concrete blocks bedded in dry sand and cement, put plastic damp
proof membrane over the blocks. Then erect the shed on this. Probably
easier and quicker than laying slabs, and lifts the shed up to give
plenty of ventilation.

Most shed suppliers will erect, but if you can I'd do it yourself, the
erectors don't hang about, and IME do a fairly poor job. DIYing also
gives you time to treat the underside with preservative etc.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 16-09-2004, 10:58 AM
alfie

Thank u all for your advice. Appreciate it.

Regards,

Alfie.

Garden sheds Sacha United Kingdom 0 15-05-2005 05:00 PM
Looking for help in the study of garden sheds ccoath United Kingdom 3 09-02-2005 08:56 AM
Looking for help with garden sheds ccoath Gardening 3 09-02-2005 03:05 AM
Looking for help on garden sheds!!! ccoath United Kingdom 4 09-02-2005 12:13 AM
How do garden sheds fail? Steve Harris United Kingdom 30 04-05-2004 02:06 PM