Old 12-02-2003, 01:06 PM
Steve Harris

Default Walking Stick Cabbage

Just seen a picture of this on the T&M site and it looks a giggle.
Anyone grown them here? How high? To look at the picture, you'd expect
them to blow down if the wind goes over 10 mph!

PS: Are they good to eat? :-)

Old 12-02-2003, 03:50 PM
Anne Middleton/Harold Walker

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
Just seen a picture of this on the T&M site and it looks a giggle.
Anyone grown them here? How high? To look at the picture, you'd expect
them to blow down if the wind goes over 10 mph!//////////////////they will

grow very well where you are..forget eating them as they are just a
novelty......they do make an excellent walking stick when well cured, sanded
and varnished.......mine withstood winds of over 25 mph....HW.

PS: Are they good to eat? :-)

Old 12-02-2003, 06:32 PM
Drakanthus

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
Just seen a picture of this on the T&M site and it looks a giggle.
Anyone grown them here? How high? To look at the picture, you'd expect
them to blow down if the wind goes over 10 mph!

PS: Are they good to eat? :-)

Wow! I just found them - you forgot to include the URL:
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/seeds...etable_18.html
Incredible - it says they can grow up to 15 feet high!
I wonder if they can be used as a quick growing fence?
--
Drakanthus.

( Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the
subject line or emails will never reach me.)

Old 13-02-2003, 07:15 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Steve
Harris writes
Brassica Leylandii, I believe ;-)

'Walking Stick' Cabbage are Brassica oleracea longata
aka Jersey Cabbage, Jersey Kale, Chou Cavalier; Tree cabbage; Walking-
Stick-Cabbage, Walking Stick Kale. Tall growing cabbage (to 6M.18ft.)
with large loose-leaved head. Stems used for walking sticks. Young
leaves and sprouts edible. Grow as for standard cabbage.

Details from urg Veg & Salad Index at:
http://www.fuchsiazone.co.uk/veg-index/vegindex.htm
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Old 13-02-2003, 03:57 PM
andrew jones

I have grown them in a sunny spot and they are reasonably easy and hardy,
wind tolerant(they alL originate from coastal regions) . They have them on
the channel isles and a related thing in northern Portugal from which they
make lots of soup.

Old 13-02-2003, 04:54 PM
Steve Harris

In article ,
(Alan Gould) wrote:

Details from urg Veg & Salad Index at:
http://www.fuchsiazone.co.uk/veg-index/vegindex.htm

Have you actually grown it. Alan or are organic seeds not available?

Old 13-02-2003, 08:26 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Steve
Harris writes
In article ,
(Alan Gould) wrote:

Details from urg Veg & Salad Index at:
http://www.fuchsiazone.co.uk/veg-index/vegindex.htm

Have you actually grown it. Alan or are organic seeds not available?

No, I've never tried to grow that variety of cabbage. They are more of a
novelty than a food plant really and I should think that they would
finish out a bit smaller in UK summers than in Jersey. I can't recall
having seen seed for them being sold, but they may appear among the
ornamental veggies in some catalogues (T&M?).
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.