Old 16-09-2004, 05:07 PM
Registered User

Default Cuttings - Advice for a novice!

Just a question on cuttings really. I've been going mad with my cuttings recently, taking cuttings of the following:

Spiraea
Buddleia
Viburnum
Lavender
Ceanothus
Hydrangea

I'm not even sure that they'll all take or indeed whether it is the right time of year for some of them but trial and error I guess. I have used the ordinary compost from B&Q, rooting hormone and left just the upper leaves, or if they were sizeable, snipped them in 2 to prevent moisture loss. The cuttings themselves are not in direct sunlight. I am a bit concerned about how cool the mornings are at the moment, I don't have a cold frame, should I move the cuttings inside do you think???

I have heard about a fungicidal spray - should I be using this on all the cuttings as well?

Would mixing loam in the compost aid drainage, indeed is this an issue?? I'm sure I've read somewhere that cuttings need a free draining medium??

Many thanks for your advice

Regards

Ian
Old 17-09-2004, 03:47 PM
Sheila

"KingstonIan" wrote in message

[...]

I used 8 sticks of buddleia to mark my rows of spring onions earlier this
year. They have all rooted and grown well.

John

---