GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Huckleberries (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/83725-huckleberries.html)

Tracey 17-09-2004 12:12 PM

Huckleberries

Is there anybody out there who actually likes the taste of huckleberries,
lol?!

I've grown my first huckleberries this year and picked my first batch of
ripe berries last weekend. I think they taste pretty vile, so does my
fiance and there's not much he doesn't like, particularly when it comes to
berries. Anyhow I managed to use them as I mixed them with blackberries and
bilberries I had picked during country walks and made a berry crumble.
Tasted very good too!

Now the question is, can anybody recommend other ways of using
huckleberries, apart from mixing with other berries and sticking them in a
pie?

Thanks.

Tracey

Jaques d'Alltrades 17-09-2004 03:02 PM

The message
from "Tracey" contains these words:

Is there anybody out there who actually likes the taste of huckleberries,
lol?!

Do you mean huckleberries, or the misleadingly named 'Garden Huckleberries'?

I've grown my first huckleberries this year and picked my first batch of
ripe berries last weekend. I think they taste pretty vile, so does my
fiance and there's not much he doesn't like, particularly when it comes to
berries. Anyhow I managed to use them as I mixed them with blackberries and
bilberries I had picked during country walks and made a berry crumble.
Tasted very good too!

Ah. You must mean the garden huckleberry, which is just a grown-up black
nightshade. I don't find them vile - just rather lacking in flavour. I
prefer black nightshade, which is pleasantly sweet, though also rather
lacking in flavour.

Proper huckleberries are a species of whortleberry/bilberry/blaeberry.

Now the question is, can anybody recommend other ways of using
huckleberries, apart from mixing with other berries and sticking them in a
pie?

I only grew them once...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Tracey 17-09-2004 06:47 PM

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
[...]

Yes, sorry, should have said they are garden huckleberries. The one I
sampled was so bitter I had to spit it out - yuck, it was horrid!

I won't be growing them again...

Tracey

Jaques d'Alltrades 18-09-2004 08:03 PM

The message
from "Tracey" contains these words:

Yes, sorry, should have said they are garden huckleberries. The one I
sampled was so bitter I had to spit it out - yuck, it was horrid!

Bitter? Even an unripe one should be no more bitter than an unripe
tomato. When ripe, the fruit are squishy and sweet, with a flavour
slightly reminiscent of not a lot.

I won't be growing them again...

They make a rather bland wine of extraordinary colour. Worth growing
just for the table decoration!

Tracey 19-09-2004 10:11 AM

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Tracey" contains these words:

Yes, sorry, should have said they are garden huckleberries. The one I
sampled was so bitter I had to spit it out - yuck, it was horrid!

Bitter? Even an unripe one should be no more bitter than an unripe
tomato. When ripe, the fruit are squishy and sweet, with a flavour
slightly reminiscent of not a lot.

I won't be growing them again...

They make a rather bland wine of extraordinary colour. Worth growing
just for the table decoration!

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

My step-mum who gave me the plants told me yesterday that I should let the
frost get to them before using as this will make them less bitter. Any
thoughts?

The wine idea sounds good!

Tracey

Jaques d'Alltrades 19-09-2004 07:21 PM

The message
from "Tracey" contains these words:

My step-mum who gave me the plants told me yesterday that I should let the
frost get to them before using as this will make them less bitter. Any
thoughts?

That's sloes...

I would have thought frost on garden huckleberries would have turned
them rotten unless they were used immediately. Remember, they are very
closely related to the tomato.

The wine idea sounds good!

I generally make a gallon of it (using black nightshade, but the two
plants are very similar) by cooking about four pounds of the berries in
a cupful of water and mixing with some sugar and white grape juice from
the supermarket.

Nick Maclaren 19-09-2004 09:22 PM

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Tracey" contains these words:

My step-mum who gave me the plants told me yesterday that I should let the
frost get to them before using as this will make them less bitter. Any
thoughts?

That's sloes...

Sloes aren't bitter ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

David Rance 19-09-2004 11:33 PM

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004, Nick Maclaren wrote:

My step-mum who gave me the plants told me yesterday that I should let the
frost get to them before using as this will make them less bitter. Any
thoughts?

That's sloes...

Sloes aren't bitter ....

No, but almost everyone refers to an acid taste as bitter despite my
best efforts at educating them! ;-)

David

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |

Jaques d'Alltrades 20-09-2004 03:42 PM

The message
In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Tracey" contains these words:

My step-mum who gave me the plants told me yesterday that I should
let the
frost get to them before using as this will make them less bitter. Any
thoughts?

That's sloes...

Sloes aren't bitter ....

I'm referring to the frost...

david taylor 26-09-2004 01:54 PM

Many years ago in ignorance I sowed a row of Garden Huckleberries and found
they were the same as black nightshade-a common weed in the area of Cheshire
where we lived.
Solanum Niger is not particularly flavoursome and I wouldn't recommend. Yuk
is a reasonably accurate description