Old 17-09-2004, 06:58 PM
Cat

Default Speaking of berries...

A query from someone re. huckleberry puts me in mind of another berry I am
anxious to give a go to.
It's the cloudberry - Rubus chamaemorus - with which I fell in love in a pot
of jam enjoyed in Finland last year. It's like a low growing yellow
raspberry, and to say that the jam is divine is an understatement.
I have found a nursery in Scotland which will ship plantlets for a not
outrageous cost, but if anyone here has any experience in growing them, I
really would welcome their input!
TIA

--
Cat(h)
The world swirls...

Old 17-09-2004, 07:18 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Cat" writes:
| A query from someone re. huckleberry puts me in mind of another berry I am
| anxious to give a go to.
| It's the cloudberry - Rubus chamaemorus - with which I fell in love in a pot
| of jam enjoyed in Finland last year. It's like a low growing yellow
| raspberry, and to say that the jam is divine is an understatement.
| I have found a nursery in Scotland which will ship plantlets for a not
| outrageous cost, but if anyone here has any experience in growing them, I
| really would welcome their input!

This came up recently. Remember that they are plants of the far
north, and so like cool conditions. If I recall, they also like
damp, acid, poor but humus-rich soil.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-09-2004, 11:26 PM
Tim Tyler

Cat wrote or quoted:

A query from someone re. huckleberry puts me in mind of another berry I am
anxious to give a go to.
It's the cloudberry - Rubus chamaemorus - with which I fell in love in a pot
of jam enjoyed in Finland last year. It's like a low growing yellow
raspberry, and to say that the jam is divine is an understatement.
I have found a nursery in Scotland which will ship plantlets for a not
outrageous cost [...]

This one?

http://www.poyntzfieldherbs.co.uk/ca...erm=cloudberry

....?

Do let us know if they come up with the goods ;-)
--
__________
Old 20-09-2004, 11:55 PM
Tim Tyler

I, Tim Tyler wrote or quoted:

http://www.poyntzfieldherbs.co.uk/ca...erm=cloudberry

I put "berry" into their search engine - and found a few things I had
never heard of ;-)

http://www.poyntzfieldherbs.co.uk/ca...archterm=berry
--
__________

Old 22-09-2004, 06:22 PM
Jennifer Sparkes

The message
from Janet Baraclough.. contains
these words:

The message
from "Cat" contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in
message

Climatically-challenged persons can buy cloudberry jam in Ikea.

We have yet to be blessed with an Ikea store in Ireland :-)
Though I understand some delis in Dublin carry it, for them that are
prepared to take out a second mortgage.

Before Ikea blessed Scotland, bus companies used to run day shopping
trips taking needy people to the land of the blessed to get their fix of
cloudberry jam, Swedish meatballs and Anna biscuits.

... have you ever tasted Cloudberry ... well anything???
Still 'spose it is each to ones own - Hmmm ...

Jennifer
Old 24-09-2004, 02:31 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Jennifer Sparkes contains these words:

... have you ever tasted Cloudberry ... well anything???
Still 'spose it is each to ones own - Hmmm ...

Not as far as I can remember. Do tell...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 24-09-2004, 03:09 PM
Cat

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from "Cat" contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in

message

Climatically-challenged persons can buy cloudberry jam in Ikea.

We have yet to be blessed with an Ikea store in Ireland :-)
Though I understand some delis in Dublin carry it, for them that are
prepared to take out a second mortgage.

Before Ikea blessed Scotland, bus companies used to run day shopping
trips taking needy people to the land of the blessed to get their fix of
cloudberry jam, Swedish meatballs and Anna biscuits. I've got a feeling
they do something similar from Belfast to Braehead (Glasgow Ikea) via a
speedcat that docks in Ayrshire. Now all you need to is get to
Belfast...

There are such trips indeedy, and I have even seen an ad somewhere for a
company that will ship your purchases from the Holy Blessed Land of the
Nearest Ikea Shop (aka somewhere in the UK) back to your very own boghole.
But I think these target mostly the trendy furniture goodies - and I don't
think they do flat pack cloudberry jam...

I would still like to hear from anyone who has tried growing the stuff,
though ;-)

--
Cat(h)
The world swirls...

Old 24-09-2004, 03:10 PM
Cat

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from Jennifer Sparkes contains these words:

... have you ever tasted Cloudberry ... well anything???
Still 'spose it is each to ones own - Hmmm ...

Not as far as I can remember. Do tell...

You should both try it. It is *even better* than the king of all jams -
blackberry.

--
Cat(h)
The world swirls...

Old 24-09-2004, 06:08 PM
Jennifer Sparkes

The message
from "Cat" contains these words:

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message

Not as far as I can remember. Do tell...

You should both try it. It is *even better* than the king of all jams -
blackberry.

I have tried it which is why I said what I said. (g)
Actually confirmed my dislike for in Denmark last year by having, accidently,
some Cloudberry Juice or more correctly, juice with Cloudberries in it. ((

Jennifer

Old 24-09-2004, 08:16 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Cat" contains these words:
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from Jennifer Sparkes contains these words:

... have you ever tasted Cloudberry ... well anything???
Still 'spose it is each to ones own - Hmmm ...

Not as far as I can remember. Do tell...

You should both try it. It is *even better* than the king of all jams -
blackberry.

I shall - when I come across some - just so long as citric acid isn't
used in its molishment. Can't disagree with your assessment of bramble
jam, though I do prefer bramble jelly.

Melted, then poured over bananananana splits incorporating really good
ice-cream, mmmmmmm!