Old 21-09-2004, 02:18 PM
Mike Lyle

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote in message . uk...
The message
from "Diane Epps" contains these words:

I always put my onions in a bowl and pour a kettle of boiling water over.
When cooled the pealing process is much easier.

That's for onion rings, Shirley?

Triple points for that, Grandsire!

Mike.
Old 21-09-2004, 06:12 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Diane Epps" contains these words:

I always put my onions in a bowl and pour a kettle of boiling

water
over. When cooled the pealing process is much easier.

That's for onion rings, Shirley?

Triple points to you, Grandsire!

Coo ta! I'll sew them on my gardening hat.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 21-09-2004, 07:59 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Diane Epps" contains these words:

I always put my onions in a bowl and pour a kettle of boiling

water
over. When cooled the pealing process is much easier.

That's for onion rings, Shirley?

Triple points to you, Grandsire!

Coo ta! I'll sew them on my gardening hat.

Or do I mean sow them?

Old 21-09-2004, 08:14 PM
Phil L

Bob Hobden wrote:
:: "Phil L" wrote ...
::: Broadback wrote:
::::: Having just spent a boring 50 minutes with a paring knife and a
::::: quart of tears I wonder if anyone has any tips for preparing
::::: pickling onions. 3lbs done and 3 to do. :-(
:::::
:::
::: pickling onions and red cabbage is something I have done in the
::: past, but not for a while...
:::
::: peel your onions as normal and lay them out on a large tray,
::: sprinkle salt over them (lots!) and leave them overnight, the
::: next day pack them into jars and fill to the top with the vinegar
::: of your choice.
::
:: Why? Why do you sprinkle salt over them, why do you leave them
:: overnight to attract bacteria etc?
::
Attract bacteria? - they've just come out of the ground!
The salt removes some of the water in the onion, making the vinegar go in
further...seriously, if you eat an onion which has ben done this way you
will taste the difference.

:::
::: The salt removes some of the water from them, meaning that they
::: soak the vinegar in quicker...the same applies to red cabbage,
::: chop it up and cover with salt overnight.
::
:: Don't you wash off the salt? If no, you are not doing your health
:: any good, if yes what's the point.
::
The salt can be wiped off prior to bottling...the little bit that does go in
can't do you much harm.

:: Peel, pop into a jar until full, sprinkle the spice in and top up
:: with good quality vinegar. Easy. No onions lying about, no salt
:: contamination, do as many jars as you want at a time. Leave for at
:: least 6 weeks before eating and after a year they are really good.
:: If you can peel them near an open window when there is a breeze so
:: much the better.
::
Salt isn't a 'contaminant', unless you believe every cock-eyed story which
comes from Whitehall....you cannot survive without salt and the minute
amount from pickling will do no harm nor even be noticable.

Old 22-09-2004, 12:46 AM
Tony Bull

Broadback wrote in message ...
Having just spent a boring 50 minutes with a paring knife and a quart of
tears I wonder if anyone has any tips for preparing pickling onions.
3lbs done and 3 to do. :-(

Peel them outside on a nice day. Wear marigolds to stop your hands
smelling. Leave twenty four hours in salt. The salt removes water from
the onions by osmosis. Wash off salt. The vinegar adds water by
osmosis. Result firm crunchy pickled onions.
Tony Bull www.caterpillarfountain.co.uk

Old 22-09-2004, 10:07 AM
Franz Heymann

"Tony Bull" wrote in message
m...
Broadback wrote in message

Having just spent a boring 50 minutes with a paring knife and a

quart of
tears I wonder if anyone has any tips for preparing pickling

onions.
3lbs done and 3 to do. :-(

Peel them outside on a nice day. Wear marigolds to stop your hands
smelling. Leave twenty four hours in salt. The salt removes water

from
the onions by osmosis. Wash off salt. The vinegar adds water by
osmosis. Result firm crunchy pickled onions.

It is unlikely that the direction of the osmotic flow in the case of
the vinegar is opposite to that in the case of the salt. In both
cases the excess concentration of solute is on the outside of the
onion.

As a matter of fact, if water removal is all that is achieved in the
salt stage, you might as well omit it, since the vinegar will also
remove water from the inside of the onion.

Franz

Old 23-09-2004, 05:30 PM
Tony Bull

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message ...
"Tony Bull" wrote in message
m...
Broadback wrote in message

[...]

I disagree.
Salt crystals are far more concentrated than the solutions in the
cells of the onion.
Removal of water concentrates these salts to a level higher than that
of the acetic acid solution in the vinegar so the vinegar adds water
to the cells thereby producing crunchy onions.
If you like soggy onions follow Franz's methods
Tony Bull www.caterpillarfountain.co.uk
Old 23-09-2004, 08:51 PM
Franz Heymann

"Tony Bull" wrote in message
om...
"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Tony Bull" wrote in message
m...
Broadback wrote in message

[...]

Yes. I don't dispute that.

The same does for the vinegar.

Removal of water concentrates these salts to a level higher than

that
of the acetic acid solution in the vinegar

This is what I doubt. The acetic acid is much more highly
concentrated than the stuff inside the onion.
If the salt had removed the amount of water you would have to remove
in order to make the solution inside the onion more concentrated than
the acetic acid you subsequently intend to use, the onion would have
to have been shrivelled to less than half the volume normally occupied
by a turgid onion.

so the vinegar adds water
to the cells thereby producing crunchy onions.
If you like soggy onions follow Franz's methods

I have pickled hundreds of bottles of nice crunchy onions and shallots
which have not been subjected to the salt treatment

Franz

Old 24-09-2004, 01:29 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

As a matter of fact, if water removal is all that is achieved in the
salt stage, you might as well omit it, since the vinegar will also
remove water from the inside of the onion.

But by reducing the strength of the vinegar, it renders it more liable
to bacterial attack. (Even with the stronger pickling vinegars)

Old 24-09-2004, 06:06 PM
Tony Bull

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message ...
"Tony Bull" wrote in message
om...
"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Tony Bull" wrote in message
m...
Broadback wrote in message

[...]

Likewise although my experience has been mainly with shallots.
Certainly when I wash the salt off the onions or shallots,they are
quite flaccid in the surface layer, indicating water loss. After a
minimum of two weeks in vinegar ( I can't wait any longer ) they are
quite turgid, indicating water replacement. Maybe a biochemist could
enlighten us both. Anyway Franz I am glad you are successful with
them. I never eat commercially prepared pickled onions as they are so
awful compared with my own.

Old 24-09-2004, 07:58 PM
Mike Lyle

Martin wrote:
On 24 Sep 2004 10:06:40 -0700, (Tony
Bull) wrote:

"Franz Heymann" wrote in

message
"Tony Bull" wrote in message
om...
"Franz Heymann" wrote in

message
"Tony Bull" wrote in message
m...
Broadback wrote in message
[...]

a local Dutch supermarket Conmar, flogged off a lot of large UK

jars
of pickled onions at a Euro a time. The catch being that the onions
were about 10 days from their sell by date. Being nostalgic for

real
English pickled onions I bought a jar.
a) I won't need a dentiist for a while all acid soluble deposits

have
been removed from my teeth
b) I had such severe stomach pains that I seriously thought I had
appendicitis or an ulcer and to go to the local hospital.
c) I'll stick to home made ones in future.

That's interesting: commercial pickles always seem far less acid than
home-made ones to me. They can even have sod. metabisulphite added as
a preservative ( I swear I can taste it), and are heat-treated. I
wonder if you were reacting to the sulphite: I seem to remember that
for some people there's some health risk.

Mike.

Old 24-09-2004, 08:24 PM
Franz Heymann

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in
message k...
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains

these words:

As a matter of fact, if water removal is all that is achieved in

the
salt stage, you might as well omit it, since the vinegar will also
remove water from the inside of the onion.

But by reducing the strength of the vinegar, it renders it more

liable
to bacterial attack. (Even with the stronger pickling vinegars)

When the chips are really down, I have my doubts if there is actually
much water removal from the onions with the use of either salt or
vinegar.
If a substantial amount of water had been removed, the onions would be
shrivelled and limp.

Franz

Old 24-09-2004, 08:37 PM
Franz Heymann

"Tony Bull" wrote in message
om...
"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Tony Bull" wrote in message
om...
"Franz Heymann" wrote in

message
"Tony Bull" wrote in message
m...
Broadback wrote in message

[...]

That, at least, is something on which we agree.

Franz

Old 25-09-2004, 04:23 PM
Broadback

Franz Heymann wrote:

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in
message k...

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains

these words:

As a matter of fact, if water removal is all that is achieved in

the

salt stage, you might as well omit it, since the vinegar will also
remove water from the inside of the onion.

But by reducing the strength of the vinegar, it renders it more

liable

to bacterial attack. (Even with the stronger pickling vinegars)

When the chips are really down, I have my doubts if there is actually
much water removal from the onions with the use of either salt or
vinegar.
If a substantial amount of water had been removed, the onions would be
shrivelled and limp.

Franz

Right, thanks for all the replies, this is the longest thread I have
ever started. I have pickled about half my onions using the salt
method, I will pickle the rest straight into the spiced vinegar, so I
will see if they are any different.
Let me have your address Franz, and if they are useless I'll send them
to you. ;-)