Old 18-09-2004, 04:46 PM
sharpantiques.com

Default Lifting hostas in Autumn

I am going to put my property on the market soon and wish to take some
of my rare hostas with me. I intend to split them and place them in
containers. The hostas will be in containers for a few months while I
am in temporary accomodation. I intend to lift them soon, this
September, but I am unsure if there is any risk of harming the plants
by lifting them at this time, also, what care I need to take to
protect them over the coming winter and what is the best sort of
container in which to place them, ie, plastic or pot.
I appreciate some askng why I have no knowledge of caring for my
"rare" hostas, but these were placed here by my previous partner who
was more green-fingerd than I. They also hold great sentimental value
to me.
I shall of course be replacing the rare hostas with others of a more
common variety!
Any assistance would be very much appreciated.
Thank you.
Ian.
Old 18-09-2004, 05:06 PM
Tumbleweed

"sharpantiques.com" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I have some excellent hostas which arrived here by way of a friend, who just
dug some up in her garden, in the autum as they were dying off, and I just
stuck em in the ground with no preparation. I'd say just be careful they
dont get too wet in the pot (if its hanging around for a bit before you
plant them), and put them in a big pot so they dont get damaged by frost.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 19-09-2004, 12:12 AM
GeeBee

SNIP I intend to split them and place them in containers. The hostas
will be in containers for a few months while I am in temporary accomodation.

My Hostas grow in large pots permanently, I leave them outside all winter
and repot / split them in the spring, grown them like this for over 10 years
now,

Old 19-09-2004, 08:31 AM
sharpantiques.com

"GeeBee" wrote in message ...
SNIP I intend to split them and place them in containers. The hostas
will be in containers for a few months while I am in temporary accomodation.

My Hostas grow in large pots permanently, I leave them outside all winter
and repot / split them in the spring, grown them like this for over 10 years
now,

Thank you all for giving me advice on my hostas. I shall start lifting
this very Sunday afternoon.
Thank you.
Ian.