Old 18-09-2004, 06:27 PM
Rick

Default My Ivey

Moved in about 5 years ago and had a garden, without to much thought ( BIG
mistake ) I launch a few plants into the ground.

Now much bigger most are under control but my Ivey seems to have a mind of
its own.

While looking really nice it has tightly woven its self between the slats of
the fence which is fine but it is just as bushy on the other side which is a
street...

How can I stop it reaching the pavement and taking on the world ? I'm doing
my best to guide it but with this rain then sun and a full time job I'm
finding it hard to keep up.

--
THANKS
RICK

----------------------------
COOL SITES...
www.rickshell.com
www.ackadia.com
http://groups.msn.com/accessforall

Old 18-09-2004, 08:59 PM
Mike Lyle

"Rick" wrote in message
Moved in about 5 years ago and had a garden, without to much

thought ( BIG
mistake ) I launch a few plants into the ground.

Now much bigger most are under control but my Ivey seems to have a

mind of
its own.

While looking really nice it has tightly woven its self between the

slats of
the fence which is fine but it is just as bushy on the other side

which is a
street...

How can I stop it reaching the pavement and taking on the world ?

I'm doing
my best to guide it but with this rain then sun and a full time job

I'm
finding it hard to keep up.

I feel your pain. I love ivies in all their astounding variety; but
you've just got to be ruthless. Chop 'em down every year if they get
out of bounds, and it won't hurt them at all. If necessary, cut them
more often, and it still won't hurt them. Whatever you do, don't let
them get between bits of woodwork, or they'll swell and send out
shoots, and lever the whole thing to bits, as well as providing a
nice damp atmosphere in which rot can get started.

In the case you've described, I'd suggest cutting them off well below
the bit where they start penetrating the fence. If time is short, you
can just leave the upper part to wither away; but it's best to get in
there with secateurs and unpick the knitting in convenient lengths,
and don't let it happen again.

Long term, this isn't the best place for ivies at all. When virtually
unemployed and totally skint, I have used them as a cheap way to fill
space, and got hooked on the idea of how many different kinds you can
find. (The collection, propagation, and subsequent prettiness
actually did quite a lot for my self-esteem at a tough time. I
suspect the same would apply to somebody in full employment who
didn't have any spare time.) I get sentimental about plants, but
this isn't always the right attitude: sometimes it's best to dig
something out once it's done its job, and other things have grown up,
or when you can afford to buy in something else.

There's also the problem of variegated ivies. You launch a nice
Goldheart, for example, and wait for ages for it to do something;
then finally it does cover the wall, and you feel good; then you
rather forget about it, and suddenly the wall is covered with plain
green leaves heading for the soffits or even the slates: quite the
opposite of what you'd planned. Variegated forms don't grow so fast,
because they don't do the chlorophyll thing so efficiently: so of
course any shoots reverting to green have an advantage, and take over
their little world. Ruthlessness is the only approach.

Mike.

Old 19-09-2004, 08:36 AM
Brian Watson

"Rick" wrote in message
Moved in about 5 years ago and had a garden, without to much thought ( BIG
mistake ) I launch a few plants into the ground.

Now much bigger most are under control but my Ivey seems to have a mind of
its own.

Ivy is the spawn of the Devil and should be removed before it strangles you
in your sleep.

--
Brian
Henry Fielding: "All Nature wears one universal grin"

Old 19-09-2004, 11:58 AM
Rick

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message

"Rick" wrote in message
[...]

THANK YOU...

I'll get it cut back... some time...

RICK

Old 19-09-2004, 12:14 PM
Brian Watson

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 07:36:36 +0100, "Brian Watson"
wrote:

Ivy is the spawn of the Devil and should be removed before it strangles

you
in your sleep.

That's no way to talk about your wife :-)

My wife doesn't know about Ivy....

Old 19-09-2004, 06:10 PM
Franz Heymann

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 11:14:46 +0100, "Brian Watson"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Ivy is the spawn of the Devil and should be removed before it

strangles
you
in your sleep.

That's no way to talk about your wife :-)

My wife doesn't know about Ivy....

Just as well, if she really is the spawn of the Devil.

I take it you are referring to Ivy.
Wait till you see thet witch Hazel.

Franz