Old 19-09-2004, 05:47 PM
sw

Default Tomatoes

Over the years I have grown tomatoes and had good success, however I have
now been told that they are linked to the arthritic feeling I get in my
hands. I stopped eating them and the feeling went away so there must be
some truth in the matter. (Mores the pity as I love a freshly picked tomato)

Can anyone suggest a crop that I can grow next year that will take up a
similar amount of space and be just as nice picked and eaten straight off
the plant?

Cheers
Steve

Old 19-09-2004, 06:14 PM
Phil L

sw wrote:
:: Over the years I have grown tomatoes and had good success, however
:: I have now been told that they are linked to the arthritic feeling
:: I get in my hands. I stopped eating them and the feeling went
:: away so there must be some truth in the matter. (Mores the pity as
:: I love a freshly picked tomato)
::
This belief stems from a common myth that acid from certain foods will
accumulate in the blood steam and erode the joints. Arthritis is not caused
by eating acidic foods. Very few foods are as acidic as our digestive
juices. Foods termed 'acid foods' (such as tomatoes and oranges) are very
rich in vitamin C, which is beneficial to the immune system, so avoiding
these may do more harm than good.

http://www.nutritionaustralia.org/Fo...hritis_faq.asp

:: Can anyone suggest a crop that I can grow next year that will take
:: up a similar amount of space and be just as nice picked and eaten
:: straight off the plant?
::

the same ones as you're growing now?...seriously, I can't see tomatoes
having any effect upon arthiritis in this way...maybe when you stopped
eating them, you started eating something else which has helped?

Old 19-09-2004, 07:34 PM
Alan Gould

In article , sw sw@bewdleybytheriver
..freeserve.co.uk writes
Over the years I have grown tomatoes and had good success, however I have
now been told that they are linked to the arthritic feeling I get in my
hands. I stopped eating them and the feeling went away so there must be
some truth in the matter. (Mores the pity as I love a freshly picked tomato)

This myth has been around for yonks, but AFAIK no proof has ever been
offered for it. Another myth which works for us is that nettle stings
prevent arthritis. We get regular occasional nettle stings and in our
70s we don't have arthritis, so we give the nod to the idea.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 19-09-2004, 10:42 PM
Franz Heymann

"sw" wrote in message
Over the years I have grown tomatoes and had good success, however I

have
now been told that they are linked to the arthritic feeling I get in

my
hands. I stopped eating them and the feeling went away so there

must be
some truth in the matter. (Mores the pity as I love a freshly picked

tomato)

Can anyone suggest a crop that I can grow next year that will take

up a
similar amount of space and be just as nice picked and eaten

straight off
the plant?

Tomatoes.

My wife is 78 and I am 80. We both eat tomatoes and red peppers daily
as major components of our diet. Neither of us suffers from any
arthritis.
My neighbour is 78 and his wife is 75. They both love tomatoes and he
cultivates them intensively in his greenhouse. Neither of them have
ever complained about arthritis.

Franz

Old 20-09-2004, 12:14 AM
David Hill

Franz wrote ".........My wife is 78 and I am 80. We both eat
tomatoes and red peppers daily as major components of our diet. Neither of
us suffers from any arthritis. ......."

I think that tomatoes whilst not causing Arthritis, they can aggravate an
existing condition.
I have found that there is less reaction to Plumb Tomatoes as they have a
much lower acid content.
Regarding nettles and arthritis, there was something on R4. the other day on
this, and they said about there being something in the plant that can reduce
the inflammation caused by the arthritis, and it isn't the sting.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 20-09-2004, 12:21 PM
Fran

"sw" wrote in message

Over the years I have grown tomatoes and had good success, however I have
now been told that they are linked to the arthritic feeling I get in my
hands. I stopped eating them and the feeling went away so there must be
some truth in the matter.

My father experienced exactly the same thing with tomatoes. He took the
message and gave up eating them.

Old 20-09-2004, 01:09 PM
Tim Challenger

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 16:14:15 GMT, Phil L wrote:

sw wrote:
[...]

There's a brochuree issued by : www.healthychoices.ukhq.co.uk/
Which lists tomatoes as to be avoided. Yet apples (high acid content) and
cider vinegar (!) are recommended.

--
Tim C.
Old 20-09-2004, 02:42 PM
jane

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 20:42:38 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

~
~"sw" wrote in message
[...]

I eat cherry tomatoes like they're going out of fashion. I get through
pounds of the things.
I also get arthritic twinges that stop me being able to use my hands
sometimes for minutes. It's hereditary - my dad's the same, and so was
his dad (who lived to 97 and was the one who started me off with
allotments and growing veg). Dad fills his greenhouse with toms each
year.

I think if you are going to get arthritis, our genes are what counts!

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 20-09-2004, 05:08 PM

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:51:25 +0100, Malcolm
wrote:

SNIP

(2) As I didn't know what "fulvates" are, a word not in my SOED, I
looked it up with Google. The first site I came to was of a firm selling
what they term "Health Care Nutritionals"!

So, are you ready for this?

"Essential and vital to nutrition, fulvates are nature's life force
energy. Invisible to the naked eye, these microscopic electrolytes
empower all living organisms. Without fulvates, virtually all land-based
life could not exist. Their immense source of electrical energy supports
revitalizing cell metabolism, a significant increase in organ
respiration rates, and boosts overall health potential. Fulvates are
water-based organic electrolytes (substances that dissolve in water and
are capable of conducting an electrical charge). Fulvates are composed
of low-weight or small molecular substances secreted by microorganisms
in the soil enabling plants to provide life force energy to plants and
animals."

HAHAHA

I had a spoonful of fulvates only yesterday morning and already I
have now grown a full head of hair , have thrown away my crutches and
can see.

I think I'll just go down the garden and eat some more of the excellent
tomatoes growing in the polytunnel. Who knows, some of the fulvates in
my soil might have got into them :-)

Old 20-09-2004, 07:07 PM
Bob Hobden

"Tim Challenger" wrote :

There's a brochuree issued by : www.healthychoices.ukhq.co.uk/
Which lists tomatoes as to be avoided. Yet apples (high acid content) and
cider vinegar (!) are recommended.

Found this interesting, is it true though?
http://www.healthychoices.ukhq.co.uk...ood_Today.html

--
Regards
Bob

Old 20-09-2004, 07:48 PM
Franz Heymann

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article 1095678546.N80fkcx3wIXWj+DF6pKp7g@teranews, Tim

Challenger
writes

-snip]

There's a brochuree issued by : www.healthychoices.ukhq.co.uk/
Which lists tomatoes as to be avoided. Yet apples (high acid

content) and
cider vinegar (!) are recommended.

Why should the advice of a firm trying to flog a vitamin and mineral
tonic(1) necessarily be regarded as good?

(1) containing, according to the website: 61 essential and trace
minerals, 9 essential vitamins, 17 amino acids, 30 vital enzymes,

and
fulvates(2).

[...]

I'll go for tomatoes rather than for that bullshit..

Old 20-09-2004, 10:36 PM
Franz Heymann

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Tim Challenger" wrote :

There's a brochuree issued by : www.healthychoices.ukhq.co.uk/
Which lists tomatoes as to be avoided. Yet apples (high acid

content) and
cider vinegar (!) are recommended.

Found this interesting, is it true though?
http://www.healthychoices.ukhq.co.uk...ood_Today.html

They are selling snake oil. I don't buy snake oil.

Franz

Old 23-09-2004, 08:55 PM
Neil Jones

Franz Heymann wrote:

"sw" wrote in message
Over the years I have grown tomatoes and had good success, however I

have
now been told that they are linked to the arthritic feeling I get in

my
hands. I stopped eating them and the feeling went away so there

must be
some truth in the matter. (Mores the pity as I love a freshly picked

tomato)

Can anyone suggest a crop that I can grow next year that will take

up a
similar amount of space and be just as nice picked and eaten

straight off
the plant?

This is what the arthritis foundation says.
http://www.arthritis.org/resources
arthritistoday/1999_archives/1999_09_10elimination_diets.asp

Tomatoes.

My wife is 78 and I am 80. We both eat tomatoes and red peppers daily
as major components of our diet. Neither of us suffers from any
arthritis.
My neighbour is 78 and his wife is 75. They both love tomatoes and he
cultivates them intensively in his greenhouse. Neither of them have
ever complained about arthritis.

Franz

This isn't very good logic as far as I can see. I think it is unliekly that
Tomatoes have a major part in arthritis but your argument is rather like.
The famous Great aunt hypothesis and smoking.

"They say Smoking causes cancer but I had a great aunt who smoked 60 a day
and lived to 90"

ABSENCE OF EVIDENCE IS NOT EVIDENCE OF ABSENCE!

You have too small a sample to be sure of anything.

--
Neil Jones- http://www.butterflyguy.com/
butterflies?" Andrew Lees - The quotation on his memorial at Crymlyn Bog
Old 24-09-2004, 08:27 AM
Franz Heymann

"Neil Jones" wrote in message
Franz Heymann wrote:

"sw" wrote in message
[...]

I did not attempt any logical deduction in that statement. I made a
very straightforward statement of fact. Yes, it is anecdotal
evidence. Nevertheless, a cluster with 0 out of 4 does have a wee
bit of statistical significane.

"They say Smoking causes cancer but I had a great aunt who smoked 60

a day
and lived to 90"

A single incidence like that has almost zero statistical value.

ABSENCE OF EVIDENCE IS NOT EVIDENCE OF ABSENCE!

That's trivially right. Why did you shout it?

You have too small a sample to be sure of anything.

That is correct. But whoever wishes to, may add it to whatever sized
sample they already possess.

Franz