GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   sowing onions and shallots (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/83832-sowing-onions-shallots.html)

hillier 19-09-2004 08:33 PM

sowing onions and shallots

Have had good results with onion and shallot sets this year and thinking
about sowing to grow my own sets for next year.
When should I be thinking about sowing seeds and any tips for best results
please

Nick Gray 20-09-2004 11:00 AM

"hillier" wrote in message
Have had good results with onion and shallot sets this year and thinking
about sowing to grow my own sets for next year.
When should I be thinking about sowing seeds and any tips for best results
please

Hi Hillier,

It depends on the onion variety that you want to grow. But Ailsa Craig and
Japanese Buffalo can be sown now. Sow 1/4 in (6mm) deep, in a prepared seed
bed, in drills 12 in (30cm) apart. Thin as soon as possible to 3 in apart
then in the spring thin to 6-9 in (15-25cm). Other onion varieties can be
sown in the spring (March-April).

HTH

Cheers

Nick