GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Please identify this plant! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/83863-please-identify-plant.html)

Zank The Plank 20-09-2004 04:24 PM

Please identify this plant!

Hi
I have this plant growing outside of my lounge window and I haven't got a
clue what it is. It started growing a fast rate in June and it seemed to
grow at least 30cm per week. It has velvety leaves and a thick single stem
It can be viewed at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/timcass/plant.htm.

Thanks in advance

Des Higgins 20-09-2004 04:29 PM

"Zank The Plank" wrote in message
Hi
I have this plant growing outside of my lounge window and I haven't got a
clue what it is. It started growing a fast rate in June and it seemed to
grow at least 30cm per week. It has velvety leaves and a thick single stem
It can be viewed at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/timcass/plant.htm.

I cannot view it.
Dunno why.
Hate computers.
Been using them since punched cards.
Verbascum (wild silly guess without being able to see picture :-)??

Thanks in advance

Zank The Plank 20-09-2004 04:49 PM

"Zank The Plank" wrote in message
Hi
I have this plant growing outside of my lounge window and I haven't got a
clue what it is. It started growing a fast rate in June and it seemed to
grow at least 30cm per week. It has velvety leaves and a thick single stem
It can be viewed at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/timcass/plant.htm.

Thanks in advance

Ooops sorry, Try http://homepage.ntlworld.com/timcass/plant/Plant.jpg. that
should work, it helps to upload the picture I suppose.

Thanks again in advance

Kay 20-09-2004 04:50 PM

In article , Zank The Plank
writes
Hi
I have this plant growing outside of my lounge window and I haven't got a
clue what it is. It started growing a fast rate in June and it seemed to
grow at least 30cm per week. It has velvety leaves and a thick single stem
It can be viewed at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/timcass/plant.htm.

Thanks in advance

Mullein, Verbascum thapsus. It's a biennial, growing its flower stem
(which is what you have) in the second year.
--
Kay

Tracey 20-09-2004 04:50 PM

"Zank The Plank" wrote in message
Hi
I have this plant growing outside of my lounge window and I haven't got a
clue what it is. It started growing a fast rate in June and it seemed to
grow at least 30cm per week. It has velvety leaves and a thick single stem
It can be viewed at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/timcass/plant.htm.

Thanks in advance

I think it is the exact same plant I asked about on here a few months ago -
was growing in an allotment we'd just taken on and I had no idea what it
was! - Verbascum Olympicum.

http://www.anniesannuals.com/signs/v..._olympicum.htm

Tracey

Des Higgins 20-09-2004 05:36 PM

"Zank The Plank" wrote in message

"Zank The Plank" wrote in message
Hi
I have this plant growing outside of my lounge window and I haven't got

clue what it is. It started growing a fast rate in June and it seemed to
grow at least 30cm per week. It has velvety leaves and a thick single

stem
It can be viewed at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/timcass/plant.htm.

Thanks in advance

Ooops sorry, Try http://homepage.ntlworld.com/timcass/plant/Plant.jpg.

that
should work, it helps to upload the picture I suppose.

Wheeee; do I get a special prize for doing it blind :-)

Thanks again in advance

Zank The Plank 20-09-2004 05:40 PM

"Des Higgins" wrote in message

"Zank The Plank" wrote in message

"Zank The Plank" wrote in message
Hi
I have this plant growing outside of my lounge window and I haven't got

clue what it is. It started growing a fast rate in June and it seemed
grow at least 30cm per week. It has velvety leaves and a thick single

stem
It can be viewed at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/timcass/plant.htm.

Thanks in advance

Ooops sorry, Try http://homepage.ntlworld.com/timcass/plant/Plant.jpg.

that
should work, it helps to upload the picture I suppose.

Wheeee; do I get a special prize for doing it blind :-)

Thanks again in advance

Thanks to all of you. I've now had a look for it and at least I am happy in
the knowledge that I now have a cure for the winter cough!!!

Once again thanks all

Z :-))

Franz Heymann 20-09-2004 05:47 PM

"Zank The Plank" wrote in message
Hi
I have this plant growing outside of my lounge window and I haven't

got a
clue what it is. It started growing a fast rate in June and it

seemed to
grow at least 30cm per week. It has velvety leaves and a thick

single stem
It can be viewed at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/timcass/plant.htm.

Thanks in advance

It looks like one or another species of Verbascum.

Franz

Sacha 20-09-2004 06:11 PM

On 20/9/04 16:24, in article , "Zank The
Plank" wrote:

Hi
I have this plant growing outside of my lounge window and I haven't got a
clue what it is. It started growing a fast rate in June and it seemed to
grow at least 30cm per week. It has velvety leaves and a thick single stem
It can be viewed at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/timcass/plant.htm.

Thanks in advance

It's mullein, a wild cousin of Verbascum.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Kay 20-09-2004 06:30 PM

In article , Sacha
writes

It's mullein, a wild cousin of Verbascum.

Oi!!! Don't belittle the wild flora!!! ;-)
It *is* Verbascum, Verbascum thapsus, just as much a Verbascum as those
species and hybrids that are sought out by gardeners :-)

(That, I suppose is the disadvantage of using the botanical name - one
gets so used to using it for the garden species that one forgets the
wild species have an equal right to it)
--
Kay

Sacha 20-09-2004 06:50 PM

On 20/9/04 18:30, in article , "Kay"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

It's mullein, a wild cousin of Verbascum.

Oi!!! Don't belittle the wild flora!!! ;-)
It *is* Verbascum, Verbascum thapsus, just as much a Verbascum as those
species and hybrids that are sought out by gardeners :-)

(That, I suppose is the disadvantage of using the botanical name - one
gets so used to using it for the garden species that one forgets the
wild species have an equal right to it)

Belittle? BELITTLE???? Certainly not, ma'am. I love it! But I think you
must admit that it's more commonly known as mullein.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

ex WGS Hamm 20-09-2004 10:14 PM

http://www.ageless.co.za/mullein.htm#mullein%20is

Des Higgins 21-09-2004 09:32 AM

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 20/9/04 18:30, in article , "Kay"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

It's mullein, a wild cousin of Verbascum.

Oi!!! Don't belittle the wild flora!!! ;-)
It *is* Verbascum, Verbascum thapsus, just as much a Verbascum as those
species and hybrids that are sought out by gardeners :-)

(That, I suppose is the disadvantage of using the botanical name - one
gets so used to using it for the garden species that one forgets the
wild species have an equal right to it)

Belittle? BELITTLE???? Certainly not, ma'am. I love it! But I think you
must admit that it's more commonly known as mullein.

Ehhh both names are correct surely.
Whenever I see these, either the wild ones or the garden varieties, I always
say Verbascum as I cannot remember the vernacular name.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Tracey 21-09-2004 10:15 AM

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Zank The Plank
writes
Hi
I have this plant growing outside of my lounge window and I haven't got a
clue what it is. It started growing a fast rate in June and it seemed to
grow at least 30cm per week. It has velvety leaves and a thick single

stem
It can be viewed at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/timcass/plant.htm.

Thanks in advance

Mullein, Verbascum thapsus. It's a biennial, growing its flower stem
(which is what you have) in the second year.
--
Kay

Ah, so it's thapsus not olympicum, oh well at least I got the Verbascum bit
right!

Tracey

Cat 21-09-2004 10:07 PM

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 17:36:06 +0100, "Des Higgins"
wrote:

"Zank The Plank" wrote in message

"Zank The Plank" wrote in message
Hi
I have this plant growing outside of my lounge window and I haven't got

clue what it is. It started growing a fast rate in June and it seemed to
grow at least 30cm per week. It has velvety leaves and a thick single

stem
It can be viewed at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/timcass/plant.htm.

Thanks in advance

Ooops sorry, Try http://homepage.ntlworld.com/timcass/plant/Plant.jpg.

that
should work, it helps to upload the picture I suppose.

Wheeee; do I get a special prize for doing it blind :-)

I always knew you had special powers, Des... But you have me truly
flumoxed here...

Cat(h)
The world swirls...