Old 06-02-2003, 02:04 PM
Hussein M.

Default Seeds

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 21:12:45 -0000, "snafu steve"
wrote:

It doesn't by any chance say "growers pack" on the packet? I fell for this
with Autumn king carrots last year, and I reckon they should do for an awful
lot of autumns. In this vein, does anyone know how long they're likely to be
viable? Or any tips to make them last the maximum time? Would freezing them
help?

Yes. Freezing them will, to all intents and purposes, make them stay
viable indefinitely . (For most seeds I believe).

There is some debate as to whether seeds in the fridge should be kept
in the cold or the freezer compartment. It is pronounced in favour of
the former; but only for the simple reason that condensation occurs
more abundantly when the door to the freezer is repeatedly opened and
closed. Moisture, however cold it may be, is the other big no-no along
with high ambient temperature.

I put mine into a self seal, zip-up, or otherwise relatively air
tight freezer bag. Then I sling in a teaspoon full of those silicate
grains which absorb moisture and turn colour when time has come to dry
them out in a low oven, seal the bag and put it in ... the freezer.

Isn't it goldfish which can simply swim out of a thawing block of
ice? I pondered last night whether their ageing processes are slowed
down dramatically under sun zero temperatures. But then I laughed out
loud with the thought that even if their lifetime had been thus
prolonged it wouldn't be much of a bonus spending the exra time with
numb brain all fruzzed up in a block of ice.

Grow a little garden

Huss
Old 06-02-2003, 04:06 PM
Alison

"Hussein M." wrote in message
On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 21:12:45 -0000, "snafu steve"
wrote:

snip
Isn't it goldfish which can simply swim out of a thawing block of
ice? I pondered last night whether their ageing processes are slowed
down dramatically under sun zero temperatures. But then I laughed out
loud with the thought that even if their lifetime had been thus
prolonged it wouldn't be much of a bonus spending the exra time with
numb brain all fruzzed up in a block of ice.

No I don't think it's goldfish cos I am quite a keen fish keeper and one of
my books recommends for fish euthansia to freeze them. Their body temp
falls ever so slowly until they stop functioning. Fortunately I've not yet
had to do this but it seems the most humane way compared to lots of other
horrid ways that I could *never* do.

They can survive *very* cold water though and do hang almost motionless at
the bottom of the pond for many weeks in our winters. We've had 10cm of ice
on the pond before now and they've all survived it (with an air hole of
course to let out poisonous gases). Here's hoping they all pull through
this year.

--A

Old 06-02-2003, 07:26 PM
Martin Sykes

"Hussein M." wrote in message
On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 21:12:45 -0000, "snafu steve"

Isn't it goldfish which can simply swim out of a thawing block of
ice?

Scorpions apparently can. Walk anyway.

Old 07-02-2003, 11:10 PM
tim

Hi, Frezzing seeds does not always keep viability, a lot depends on your
drying method and where the seed comes from. Oven drying can take to long
and any moisture left in the seed even the smallest amount can cause damage
during the freezing process.
On the plus side if you were extremely lucky this might result in a new
strain. (doubtful however).
For hardy and half hardy crops seeds can be kept in paper bags in a dark
place in the dry.
"Derryl Killan" wrote in message
a...
Hi Store your seeds in an airtight container and keep them in the fridge.

This should keep the viability high.

Derryl in Calgary, Alberta

I've just been out and bought my vegetable seeds for this year and am
wondering why seeds such as lettuce come in packs of 2000. I'm never

going
to use that many. Is it just a consipiracy to force us to pay more?

Martin

It doesn't by any chance say "growers pack" on the packet? I fell for

this
with Autumn king carrots last year, and I reckon they should do for an

awful
lot of autumns. In this vein, does anyone know how long they're likely

be
viable? Or any tips to make them last the maximum time? Would freezing

them
help?

Steve

Old 12-02-2003, 06:43 PM
Glenda Young

Default Lavatera Seeds

Our spare room is covered in seed trays at the moment with various
things sprouting up all over the place.. amazed to find today that
wiithin 48 hours of planting lavatera seeds there are 1cm-high shoots
already!

Lavatera x clementii propagation Stewart Robert Hinsley United Kingdom 0 21-06-2005 06:45 PM
Lavatera seedlings look odd Rosie United Kingdom 1 04-05-2004 09:07 PM
Lavatera from Suttons Stewart Robert Hinsley United Kingdom 0 06-03-2004 09:46 PM
Lavatera Ron United Kingdom 4 25-06-2003 08:28 PM
beauty series lavatera vs silver cup and mont blanc sam Gardening 0 26-01-2003 01:53 PM