Old 12-02-2003, 06:53 PM
Martin C

Default Photinia 'Red Robin' question

Hi,
Does anyone know if now is a good time to prune fairly drastically. I would
rather not do it in Spring because I would lose the lovely new red leaves,
but I am concerned that pruning it now may allow it to get damaged by frost.

Any ideas?

--
Martin

Remove 'ban..rubbish' from e-mail address for reply

Old 13-02-2003, 09:02 PM
Robert

In message , Martin C
writes
Hi,
Does anyone know if now is a good time to prune fairly drastically. I would
rather not do it in Spring because I would lose the lovely new red leaves,
but I am concerned that pruning it now may allow it to get damaged by frost.

We give our Photinias a trim after the Spring flush of red leaves and
another trim or any heavier pruning in the Autumn after the second
flush. If you decide to prune now you will probably still get a
reasonable show of red later in the year. I do remember reading
something about them being susceptible to frost damage but as we are
located in South Devon I cannot comment from experience.
--
Robert
Old 13-02-2003, 11:09 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Robert writes
In message , Martin C
writes
Hi,
Does anyone know if now is a good time to prune fairly drastically. I would
rather not do it in Spring because I would lose the lovely new red leaves,
but I am concerned that pruning it now may allow it to get damaged by frost.

We give our Photinias a trim after the Spring flush of red leaves and
another trim or any heavier pruning in the Autumn after the second
flush. If you decide to prune now you will probably still get a
reasonable show of red later in the year. I do remember reading
something about them being susceptible to frost damage but as we are
located in South Devon I cannot comment from experience.

Round here they don't suffer as much as Pieris which regularly lose
their first flush of red leaves to the frost.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/