Old 22-09-2004, 02:42 PM
Franz Heymann

"tihnman" wrote in message
There is a surface made of old tyres, but I believe it to be a

compound to
be mixed like concrete and laid, and rather expensive. Found under
children's play areas as supplied by councils and fitted at

Motorway
Service
areas

This seems exactly what im after, I dont suppose anyone has any idea

where i
could get some/ contract someone to do this? Hopefully all work

will be
covered by a grant so not too worried about the price.

Why are you not worried about the price if the work is covered by a
grant?

Franz

Old 23-09-2004, 10:20 PM

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
In message , n writes
Hello all,

Im hoping this isnt to left field for this group so here goes.

I help out at a local childrens nursery and they have a nice decking out

the
back. Only problem is when it rains (and it has been known to do that in
glasgow) it gets very slippy.

That is the purpose of decking. It makes a lot more sense in hot dry
climates.

This usually means the decking be out of
commission for 3/4 of the year up here. Could anybody suggest a good
treatment for the wood as im sure that this must be an issu for anybody

that
has ever put down decking in the UK.

Bonfire night is 5th November.

Thanking in advance from me an 40 hyperactive anklebiters

Regards,
--
Martin Brown

I knew it - just knew it....seems there never can be a thread on decking
without someone saying it's better on a bonfire than in the garden

Old 24-09-2004, 07:43 PM
Mike Lyle

Brian Watson wrote:
"Mike" wrote in message
Depending on the area, why not cover it with the 'waterproof' type
carpet of synthetic lawn. Years ago when Cyril Lord was making

very
cheap carpets, he produced a 'carpet' called "Cyril Lawn".

Next year I will be using some carpet tiles for an area in the
garden. If you can wait, I'll report back here on how I get on.

You're not a betting man, by any chance? If you're in the British
Isles, five quid says they'll be so green and slimy (or maybe black
and slimy; or maybe both) inside a year that you'll want to throw
them away. Not sure how long they'll resist sunlight, or whether
they'll curl up, so no bet offered on those issues.

Mike (always looking on the bright side).

Old 24-09-2004, 09:48 PM
Brian Watson

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Brian Watson wrote:

Next year I will be using some carpet tiles for an area in the
garden. If you can wait, I'll report back here on how I get on.

You're not a betting man, by any chance? If you're in the British
Isles, five quid says they'll be so green and slimy (or maybe black
and slimy; or maybe both) inside a year that you'll want to throw
them away. Not sure how long they'll resist sunlight, or whether
they'll curl up, so no bet offered on those issues.

I'd take the bet but I think the result will probably fall somewhere between
"good idea, what a surprise" and the two outcomes you suggest, so judging
who's won would be impossible.

Carpet tiles themselves are pretty inert, which is why they work pretty well
in kitchens, though I realise they may make an ideal breeding medium for all
sorts of first-footers from the primordial soup if allowed to lie damp for
any extended period.

Just figure it is worth a try with nothing lost, apart from a few quid, if
it does turn out to be a disaster.

I have it in mind to lay them on top of a tannalised wood framework which
has been topped off with a metal mesh so as to get water away as quickly as
possible.

Whether that will be enough remains to be seen, as does how they and their
adhesive stand up to sunlight, as you say.
--
Brian
Henry Fielding: "All Nature wears one universal grin"

Old 24-09-2004, 10:28 PM
Mike Lyle

Brian Watson wrote:
[...]
I have it in mind to lay them on top of a tannalised wood framework
which has been topped off with a metal mesh so as to get water away
as quickly as possible.

Whether that will be enough remains to be seen, as does how they

and
their adhesive stand up to sunlight, as you say.

What about their water-retention, though? If I understand the things
correctly, they're on a waterproof backing.

But I hope you'll let us know the results: an interesting experiment.

Mike.

Old 25-09-2004, 07:40 AM
Brian Watson

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Brian Watson wrote:
[...]
I have it in mind to lay them on top of a tannalised wood framework
which has been topped off with a metal mesh so as to get water away
as quickly as possible.

Whether that will be enough remains to be seen, as does how they

and
their adhesive stand up to sunlight, as you say.

What about their water-retention, though? If I understand the things
correctly, they're on a waterproof backing.

Thanks (I've not bought 'em yet). I may have to drill a few holes!

But I hope you'll let us know the results: an interesting experiment.

Thanks again. I came to it by having a place in the garden where carpet
tiles would seem to be a good solution except for it being an
apparently-daft idea that I'd never heard anyone trying before!

Having discovered that sand in varnish makes a good non-slip treatment for
decking I thought I'd try this oddball idea and see if THAT works.
--
Brian

Old 30-09-2004, 08:43 AM
Tumbleweed

"Brian Watson" wrote in message

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Brian Watson wrote:
[...]
[...]

what about the artificial grass surfaces you can get? Like carpet but with a
grassy look (to a fashion) and texture, perhaps a very short type of that.
Meant for outdoors use, & could be pressure washed. No idea where to buy it
but I know it comes in fairly wide rolls.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address

Old 30-09-2004, 10:53 PM
Brian Watson

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
.. .

"Brian Watson" wrote in message

Thanks again. I came to it by having a place in the garden where carpet
tiles would seem to be a good solution except for it being an
apparently-daft idea that I'd never heard anyone trying before!

Having discovered that sand in varnish makes a good non-slip treatment

for
decking I thought I'd try this oddball idea and see if THAT works.

what about the artificial grass surfaces you can get? Like carpet but with

grassy look (to a fashion) and texture, perhaps a very short type of that.
Meant for outdoors use, & could be pressure washed. No idea where to buy

it
but I know it comes in fairly wide rolls.

Ah, but someone's already done that...

:-))

--
Brian
Henry Fielding: "All Nature wears one universal grin"

Damp proofing ? Ivan the Spy United Kingdom 2 03-05-2006 12:12 PM
Cat-proofing a fence jamie Texas 1 09-10-2004 04:08 AM
Gopher-proofing? Jefffooz Gardening 1 29-03-2004 02:32 AM
Isabel-proofing tomatoes Tim Foecke Edible Gardening 5 20-09-2003 12:32 PM