GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Another composting question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/83912-another-composting-question.html)

Cat 21-09-2004 10:10 PM

Another composting question

Is it OK to compost *small* amounts of turf/timber ashes?
We have the occasional week end small fires in the fireplace and/or
stove as the temperatures fall... and it's always a bummer dealing
with the ashes that are produced. We only burn turf (briquettes or
natural sods) and wood.
Waddayareckon?

Cat(h)
The world swirls...

Nick Maclaren 21-09-2004 10:33 PM

In article ,
Cat wrote:
Is it OK to compost *small* amounts of turf/timber ashes?
We have the occasional week end small fires in the fireplace and/or
stove as the temperatures fall... and it's always a bummer dealing
with the ashes that are produced. We only burn turf (briquettes or
natural sods) and wood.

Or put it straight onto the garden. Wood ash is a good fertiliser.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Cat 21-09-2004 10:38 PM

On 21 Sep 2004 21:33:09 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
Cat wrote:
Is it OK to compost *small* amounts of turf/timber ashes?
We have the occasional week end small fires in the fireplace and/or
stove as the temperatures fall... and it's always a bummer dealing
with the ashes that are produced. We only burn turf (briquettes or
natural sods) and wood.

Or put it straight onto the garden. Wood ash is a good fertiliser.

Just what I wanted to hear :-)
Thanks!

Cat(h)
The world swirls...

Martin Brown 22-09-2004 09:21 AM

In message , Cat
writes
Is it OK to compost *small* amounts of turf/timber ashes?
We have the occasional week end small fires in the fireplace and/or
stove as the temperatures fall... and it's always a bummer dealing
with the ashes that are produced. We only burn turf (briquettes or
natural sods) and wood.
Waddayareckon?

Provided the wood wasn't treated with greenish chrome copper arsenate
wood preservative then wood ash is good stuff. The potash is very water
soluble and rather alkaline. You would get better value from scattering
it under your fruit trees and bushes than by composting it at this time
of year.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown

kiticat 22-09-2004 12:56 PM

Nick Maclaren wrote:
Or put it straight onto the garden. Wood ash is a good fertiliser.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Which plants would especially like it?
Sarah H

Franz Heymann 22-09-2004 02:41 PM

"kiticat" wrote in message
Nick Maclaren wrote:
Or put it straight onto the garden. Wood ash is a good

fertiliser.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Which plants would especially like it?

I would suggest you look after the roses' appetite first. They
appreciate a good lunch.

Franz

kiticat 22-09-2004 05:31 PM

Franz Heymann wrote:

Or put it straight onto the garden. Wood ash is a good

fertiliser.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Which plants would especially like it?

I would suggest you look after the roses' appetite first. They
appreciate a good lunch.

Franz

lol - you mean our poor one skeletal offering of a rose? I'll give it a
go :)
Sarah

kiticat 23-09-2004 06:18 PM

Janet Baraclough.. wrote:

Or put it straight onto the garden. Wood ash is a good fertiliser.

Which plants would especially like it?

Fruit trees, gooseberries, blackcurrants, strawberries, or flowering
plants like roses. It's slightly alkaline so don't waste it on
acid-lovers like rhododendron or blueberries. Slugs hate crawling on
woodash so it's worth storing some dry until you plant out seedling
lettuces or cabbages and scattering it on the soil surface around the
plants.My grandfather used to dust potatoes with woodash before
planting.

Janet.

oh good - my apples trees will appreciate it. Thankyou :)
Sarah