Old 22-09-2004, 10:19 PM
Chris Hogg

Default Buried soak-away cover: planting suggestions please

I'm turning a patch of lawn into a shrub bed. At one point I've
unearthed (literally) the concrete cover of a soak-away. I think it
takes the run-off from the house roof. It's about 4 ft square and
buried say 4 - 6 inches down. During the summer, this area of grass
always dried out and went brown long before the rest. Now I know why.
I imagine that in winter it probably becomes waterlogged fairly
quickly due to the lack of drainage.

I'm after suggestions for lowish-growing evergreen flowering shrubs
(say 2 - 3 ft in height) to plant over it, that will tolerate a
root-run restricted in depth, likely to be wet to waterlogged in
winter but which dries out completely in summer. As if that wasn't
enough, it also has to withstand salt-laden gales, although
frost-hardiness is not an issue as we're on the coast and seldom get
frosts below -2 or -3C, and then only overnight. The soil is mildly
acid.

The current plan is to put a layer of fine gravel directly onto the
concrete cover to help the drainage in winter, before re-covering with
soil and then to plant either low-growing rosemaries and/or lavenders
to cope with the summer dryness.

--
Chris

Old 23-09-2004, 10:38 AM
Philip

Chris Hogg wrote in message . ..
[...]

How is your liking for Ericas. I think they fit most of the
requirements, Acidity, dryness, gales, lowish habit.
Old 27-09-2004, 10:15 PM
anton

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
[...]

Or you could forget planting directly over the concrete. Plant something at
the edges that will happily grow a few feet sideways- the low cotoneasters,
f'rinstance.

--
Anton

Braod bean seeds: soak or not? Baz[_3_] United Kingdom 3 05-03-2011 09:37 AM
Okay I've got this nice juicy mealworm - I think I'll soak him in the water a little bit Paddy's Pig[_5_] Garden Photos 0 29-09-2010 02:20 AM
Lots of small soak aways kitey United Kingdom 3 02-05-2008 09:34 AM
Splash or soak? Sacha United Kingdom 1 13-04-2006 03:40 PM
Longest time to soak roses? Jean S. Barto Roses 7 08-04-2003 05:44 PM