Old 22-09-2004, 10:36 PM
Lynda Thornton

Default Freezing apples again!

Hi

I remember seeing a thread a while ago regarding preparing and freezing
apples - we have a large cooking apple tree and 5 smaller eating apple
trees (as far as I know having only just moved here) and I couldn't
remember what the techniques were for freezing large quantities of
apples! I have been cooking some and freezing puree, but I was hoping I
might be able to do it a less time-consuming and messy way?

Thanks for any advice!
--
Lynda Thornton
Old 23-09-2004, 06:07 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Lynda Thornton
writes
Hi

I remember seeing a thread a while ago regarding preparing and freezing
apples - we have a large cooking apple tree and 5 smaller eating apple
trees (as far as I know having only just moved here) and I couldn't
remember what the techniques were for freezing large quantities of
apples! I have been cooking some and freezing puree, but I was hoping I
might be able to do it a less time-consuming and messy way?

Thanks for any advice!

Joan's method is: select best apples for freezing; wipe or wash them,
then core them; halve or quarter them according to size; drop cut pieces
into water with a little salt or lemon juice to prevent discoloration;
pack them flat into freezer bags, then pop them into the freezer.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 23-09-2004, 04:28 PM
J Jackson

Lynda Thornton wrote:
: Hi

: I remember seeing a thread a while ago regarding preparing and freezing
: apples - we have a large cooking apple tree and 5 smaller eating apple
: trees (as far as I know having only just moved here) and I couldn't
: remember what the techniques were for freezing large quantities of
: apples! I have been cooking some and freezing puree, but I was hoping I
: might be able to do it a less time-consuming and messy way?

Alternatively save them as apples. Depending on the type of tree, many
apple varieties will keep well into the new year as just apples.
The apples need to be unbruised and without cuts etc and can be stored in
trays in a cool dark place - I use my cellar, but a garage or shed can be
used. Check regularly for any starting to rot and remove. I used
my last Bramley from last years crop in May.

Old 23-09-2004, 06:55 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Alan Gould
writes
Joan's method is: select best apples for freezing; wipe or wash them,
then core them; halve or quarter them according to size; drop cut pieces
into water with a little salt or lemon juice to prevent discoloration;
pack them flat into freezer bags, then pop them into the freezer.

Further to this - cored apples can be frozen whole if preferred. They
are quite suitable for baking when defrosted. If skins are required to
be removed either from whole or quartered defrosted apples, that can be
done in a similar way to tomatoes, i.e. run the frozen fruit under a
cold tap for a few seconds and the skins will rub off easily, but do it
before thawing commences.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 23-09-2004, 07:58 PM
JennyC

"Lynda Thornton" wrote in message
Hi

I remember seeing a thread a while ago regarding preparing and freezing
apples - we have a large cooking apple tree and 5 smaller eating apple
trees (as far as I know having only just moved here) and I couldn't
remember what the techniques were for freezing large quantities of
apples! I have been cooking some and freezing puree, but I was hoping I
might be able to do it a less time-consuming and messy way?

Thanks for any advice!
--
Lynda Thornton

You could dry some too
http://www.nsapples.com/teacher/t5fdryap.htm

Jenny

Old 23-09-2004, 08:34 PM
Kay

In article , Malcolm
writes

In article , J Jackson
writes

Alternatively save them as apples. Depending on the type of tree, many
apple varieties will keep well into the new year as just apples.
The apples need to be unbruised and without cuts etc and can be stored in
trays in a cool dark place - I use my cellar, but a garage or shed can be
used. Check regularly for any starting to rot and remove. I used
my last Bramley from last years crop in May.

I think it's best to wrap the apples first. I use squares of newspaper
and store them in boxes in the garage.

That's fine if you don't have many but gets really tedious if you have a
lot!
(My toleration for tedium may be a good deal less than yours. I usually
store about 100lb apples)

They take up less room than
spread out in trays

If you can get hold of fruit boxes or even shallow cardboard veg boxes,
they can be stacked and don't take a lot of room.

and the skins don't seem to go so wrinkled, not that
that is too important.

That's because you're retaining the moisture level in the atmosphere
surrounding the apple. I store mine in a damp cellar, which has the same
effect.

--
Kay

Old 24-09-2004, 07:50 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from J Jackson contains these words:

Lynda Thornton wrote:
: Hi

: I remember seeing a thread a while ago regarding preparing and freezing
: apples - we have a large cooking apple tree and 5 smaller eating apple
: trees (as far as I know having only just moved here) and I couldn't
: remember what the techniques were for freezing large quantities of
: apples! I have been cooking some and freezing puree, but I was hoping I
: might be able to do it a less time-consuming and messy way?

Alternatively save them as apples. Depending on the type of tree, many
apple varieties will keep well into the new year as just apples.
The apples need to be unbruised and without cuts etc and can be stored in
trays in a cool dark place - I use my cellar, but a garage or shed can be
used. Check regularly for any starting to rot and remove. I used
my last Bramley from last years crop in May.

When I was an anklebiter we had an old dinosaur shelter - well, air raid
shelter, anyway - and this was racked out for keeping apples. The apples
which kept best were the Bramleys, and then the Codlings. Charles Ross
and James Grieve kept well, as did Cox's Orange Pippins, and most of the
other varieties we kept weren't known to us by name. Some just didn't
keep well - beauty of Bath was one of these.

We could usually reckon on still having Bramleys when the first apples
were ripening on the early trees. (We had 36 fruit trees, mainly apple.)

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 27-09-2004, 02:46 PM
J Jackson

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
: When I was an anklebiter we had an old dinosaur shelter - well, air raid
: shelter, anyway - and this was racked out for keeping apples. The apples
: which kept best were the Bramleys, and then the Codlings. Charles Ross
: and James Grieve kept well, as did Cox's Orange Pippins, and most of the
: other varieties we kept weren't known to us by name. Some just didn't
: keep well - beauty of Bath was one of these.

James Grieve? I presume kept as cookers. I find JG goes soft after a week
and is inedible as a desert apple.
Old 27-09-2004, 06:59 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
: When I was an anklebiter we had an old dinosaur shelter - well, air raid
: shelter, anyway - and this was racked out for keeping apples. The apples
: which kept best were the Bramleys, and then the Codlings. Charles Ross
: and James Grieve kept well, as did Cox's Orange Pippins, and most of the
: other varieties we kept weren't known to us by name. Some just didn't
: keep well - beauty of Bath was one of these.

James Grieve? I presume kept as cookers. I find JG goes soft after a week
and is inedible as a desert apple.

Back in the mists of time - early to mid fifties, so I can't remember,
but you're probably quite correct.

When we got a freezer we used that for apple pulp, well, what we hadn't
enough room for in Kilner jars, and the shelter was turned over (not
literally) to mushrooms.