Old 23-09-2004, 12:13 PM
Colin Deverill

Default Geranium Cuttings

Hi.
Can you please tell me when is the time to take cuttings?

The particular type is "Pelargonium"

Thanks

Colin

Old 23-09-2004, 03:19 PM
Bob Hobden

"Colin Deverill" wrote ...
Can you please tell me when is the time to take cuttings?

The particular type is "Pelargonium"

August!

--
Regards
Bob

Old 23-09-2004, 03:44 PM
Neil Jones

"Colin Deverill" wrote in message
. ..
Hi.
Can you please tell me when is the time to take cuttings?

The particular type is "Pelargonium"

Thanks

Colin

I find that pelargoniums take root so easily that you can take cuttings
whenever you like.

Neil

Old 23-09-2004, 05:28 PM
Bob Hobden

"Neil Jones" wrote in reply to..

"Colin Deverill" wrote
Can you please tell me when is the time to take cuttings?

The particular type is "Pelargonium"

I find that pelargoniums take root so easily that you can take cuttings
whenever you like.

Whilst August is the best month for taking cuttings of Pelagoniums for
overwintering Neil's comment is true provided you can provide the plants
with heat and light during the winter months and take a great deal of care
over watering.
Cut off a good strong growth, take off all large leaves and any flowers and
cut just below a node pulling off any loose tissue that may be under the
compost. Push into a well drained compost, a multipurpose with added
drainage (sharp sand) will do, water well and then do not water until you
see the compost totally dry and the plant wilting (possibly a couple of
months). Any showing signs of rot should be destroyed ASAP.
By then the plants should be rooted well and you can water very sparingly
until the weather gets warmer next year.
During the winter keep the plants clean and clear any dead leaves etc from
the top of the compost. Watch for White Fly and other pests and deal with
them ASAP.

By the way, Geraniums are actually mostly hardy plants for the garden and
whilst most Garden Centres still insist on calling Pels Geraniums they
haven't been included in that family for decades. I've seen the retailers
change other plants names immediately the botanists have done their work
(Datura to Brugmansia) but for some reason they seem unwilling to do so with
Pels.

Old 25-09-2004, 07:47 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Bob Hobden
writes
By the way, Geraniums are actually mostly hardy plants for the garden and
whilst most Garden Centres still insist on calling Pels Geraniums they
haven't been included in that family for decades. I've seen the retailers
change other plants names immediately the botanists have done their work
(Datura to Brugmansia) but for some reason they seem unwilling to do so with
Pels.

s/family/genus/; Pelargonium is still in Geraniaceae.

Geranium is the vernacular name for Pelargonium, like chyrsanthemum is
the vernacular name for Dendranthema. (And in one of the English-
speaking countries syringa is the vernacular name for something which
isn't a lilac.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Geranium cuttings coykiesaol Gardening 0 02-06-2011 05:28 AM
Rock elm cuttings no go, but sour cherry cuttings are going [email protected] Plant Science 0 15-08-2008 07:15 AM
Geranium cuttings Broadback United Kingdom 16 15-09-2007 10:38 AM
Geranium problem Estelle Evans Gardening 0 24-04-2003 02:44 PM
geranium macrorrhizum or pulmonaria in my deer-ridden, clay-filled backyard? Maggie Gardening 0 04-02-2003 03:37 PM