GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Suitability of "Taxus baccata" (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/8404-re-suitability-taxus-baccata.html)

Nick Maclaren 10-02-2003 10:18 AM

In article , (M. Nicholson) writes:
| Hello. I am hunting for information regarding Taxus baccata (English
| Yew). I wish to plant one in my garden.
|
| How fast do they grow? I've heared that they are slow growers (if
| this information is correct, then how many inches per year?), and will
| the Australian Climate in which I live (New South Wales South Coast)
| affect it's growth rate at all?

Typically about 6". Without knowing the details of your climate, I
cannot say.

| Are they heat tolerant? Can they handle drought? Do they have to
| have a well-drained soil?

By what standards? Not by central Australian standards, definitely.
By UK standards, yes.

| What sort of situation are they used to in England (I'm not close to
| the coastline, further inland)? Acidic/Alkaline soil?

Typically slightly alkaline, but they are not fussy.

| I'm sorry to bombard you with questions like this, but I'd really like
| the plant I grow to have a good chance of surviving, and any help
| would be GREATLY appreciated.

Where are you EXACTLY, and what information can you give about
temperatures and rainfall distribution?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:

Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679