GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Spider Mite on Corn (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/84040-spider-mite-corn.html)

Joanne 24-09-2004 04:50 PM

Spider Mite on Corn

Today I noticed that my very neglected greenhouse-grown sweetcorn are
covered with spider mite (the leaves are covered, that is). I've put the
plants outside, as I assume that the outdoor cold will kill off the mites -
is that right?

I'm also assuming that the sweetcorn will still be edible, yes?

Thanks.

Kay 24-09-2004 05:22 PM

In article , Joanne
writes
Today I noticed that my very neglected greenhouse-grown sweetcorn are
covered with spider mite (the leaves are covered, that is). I've put the
plants outside, as I assume that the outdoor cold will kill off the mites -
is that right?

Something does, either cold or wet or predators.

I'm also assuming that the sweetcorn will still be edible, yes?

Yes. Provided you don't use a pesticide on the spider mites, of course!
;-)

--
Kay

MrBlueSkye 24-09-2004 11:34 PM

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Joanne
writes
Today I noticed that my very neglected greenhouse-grown sweetcorn are
covered with spider mite (the leaves are covered, that is). I've put the
plants outside, as I assume that the outdoor cold will kill off the
mites -
is that right?

Make a water based spray using peppermint, cloves and garlic. . It shifts
them very quickly without using chemicals. you need to use it every four
days for 5 or 6 applications as that is the egg hatching cycle.

Chris Hogg 25-09-2004 08:27 AM

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 23:34:13 +0100, "MrBlueSkye"
wrote:

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Joanne
writes
Today I noticed that my very neglected greenhouse-grown sweetcorn are
covered with spider mite (the leaves are covered, that is). I've put the
plants outside, as I assume that the outdoor cold will kill off the
mites -
is that right?

Make a water based spray using peppermint, cloves and garlic. . It shifts
them very quickly without using chemicals. you need to use it every four
days for 5 or 6 applications as that is the egg hatching cycle.

Similar comments for soapy water spray. A squirt of Fairy Liquid in a
pump-up or and hand sprayer applied one or twice a week keeps them
well under control.

--
Chris

JennyC 25-09-2004 09:54 AM

"Joanne" wrote in message
Today I noticed that my very neglected greenhouse-grown sweetcorn are
covered with spider mite (the leaves are covered, that is). I've put the
plants outside, as I assume that the outdoor cold will kill off the mites -
is that right?

I'm also assuming that the sweetcorn will still be edible, yes?

Thanks.

One is tempted to say that its preferable to having mites than racoons in your
corn :~))
Jenny

JennyC 25-09-2004 02:50 PM

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 10:54:38 +0200, "JennyC" wrote:

"Joanne" wrote in message
Today I noticed that my very neglected greenhouse-grown sweetcorn are
covered with spider mite (the leaves are covered, that is). I've put the
plants outside, as I assume that the outdoor cold will kill off the mites -
is that right?

I'm also assuming that the sweetcorn will still be edible, yes?

Thanks.

One is tempted to say that its preferable to having mites than racoons in

your
corn :~))

along with bats in the belfry and bees in your bonnet. :O)
Martin

How did you know I have both of the above ?
Jenny '~)