Old 25-09-2004, 03:54 PM
mich

Default Help - daphne , a bit urgent.

I had cause to take a Daphne of unknown age out of the garden two weeks
ago. It was meant to go back, but water main problems mean it cannot. I
quite literally plonked it on top of the garden and left it there.

Its been in the sun and its been rained on. It does have most of its roots,
although they are bare ( no soil on them)

Leaves are looking sad but it could still be alive. How can I tell if its
slowly dying or struggling to live?

What would be my chances of getting it back to life it I put it in the
ground - and how would I best treat it to do that - cut the leaves off or
leave them?

Its 3ft high x 3ft spread in size right now.

Old 25-09-2004, 04:42 PM
Pam Moore

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 15:54:34 +0100, "mich" wrote:

I had cause to take a Daphne of unknown age out of the garden two weeks
ago. It was meant to go back, but water main problems mean it cannot. I
quite literally plonked it on top of the garden and left it there.

Its been in the sun and its been rained on. It does have most of its roots,
although they are bare ( no soil on them)

Leaves are looking sad but it could still be alive. How can I tell if its
slowly dying or struggling to live?

What would be my chances of getting it back to life it I put it in the
ground - and how would I best treat it to do that - cut the leaves off or
leave them?

Its 3ft high x 3ft spread in size right now.

It is generally accepted that daphnes hate rootdisturbance and are
short lived anyway.
I would say its chances are very small.

Pam in Bristol
Old 25-09-2004, 06:52 PM
IntarsiaCo

What would be my chances of getting it back to life it

Daphne do not transplant well. I venture that the chances for survival are
almost nil.
Old 25-09-2004, 07:00 PM
Franz Heymann

"mich" wrote in message
I had cause to take a Daphne of unknown age out of the garden two

weeks
ago. It was meant to go back, but water main problems mean it

cannot. I
quite literally plonked it on top of the garden and left it there.

Its been in the sun and its been rained on. It does have most of its

roots,
although they are bare ( no soil on them)

Leaves are looking sad but it could still be alive. How can I tell

if its
slowly dying or struggling to live?

What would be my chances of getting it back to life it I put it in

the
ground - and how would I best treat it to do that - cut the leaves

off or
leave them?

Its 3ft high x 3ft spread in size right now.

Daphne is very fussy about being moved around. As a first thought, I
think it has had it.

Franz

Old 25-09-2004, 07:27 PM
mich

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"mich" wrote in message

Its 3ft high x 3ft spread in size right now.

Daphne is very fussy about being moved around. As a first thought, I
think it has had it.

So how do they get these things from garden centre pots to garden in the
first place if they are that sulky?

Having said that, I accept I did not treat this plant well. I should have
shoved it dtraight back in the ground somewhere but I didnt, so I know its
my fault.

Franz

Old 25-09-2004, 08:20 PM
Mike Lyle

"mich" wrote in message

Its 3ft high x 3ft spread in size right now.

Daphne is very fussy about being moved around. As a first

thought, I
think it has had it.

So how do they get these things from garden centre pots to garden

in
the first place if they are that sulky?

[...]
They should at that stage be young and vigorous, and you need to
plant them out with a good root-ball so they're disturbed as little
as possible.

Mike.

Old 26-09-2004, 09:40 AM
Franz Heymann

"mich" wrote in message

Its 3ft high x 3ft spread in size right now.

Daphne is very fussy about being moved around. As a first

thought, I
think it has had it.

So how do they get these things from garden centre pots to garden in

the
first place if they are that sulky?

If carefully transplanted from a pot, the root disturbance is minimal.
Moreover, the plants from garden centre will be quite young yet.

Franz

Old 27-09-2004, 12:28 PM
Spider

mich wrote in message
I had cause to take a Daphne of unknown age out of the garden two weeks
ago. It was meant to go back, but water main problems mean it cannot. I
quite literally plonked it on top of the garden and left it there.

Its been in the sun and its been rained on. It does have most of its

roots,
although they are bare ( no soil on them)

Leaves are looking sad but it could still be alive. How can I tell if its
slowly dying or struggling to live?

What would be my chances of getting it back to life it I put it in the
ground - and how would I best treat it to do that - cut the leaves off or
leave them?

Its 3ft high x 3ft spread in size right now.

Hi Mich,
It doesn't look too hopeful for your Daphne; you were a bit unkind to it.
If you're like me and don't give up easily on a plant, trim off any
obviously dead roots and plunge it in a bucket of water for 24 hours or so,
keeping it in a sheltered, shady place. This should plump up the roots
again .. if there's any hope left. Once it's had a good soak, scrape off a
small area of bark on the stem: if it's green, it's alive; if it's
brownish, it's dead or as good as.
If it's alive, pot it up carefully and keep the roots moist. Do what you
can to provide shelter from strong winds.
Do all the above with your fingers crossed. ))
There is no guarantee that you'll save it, but it's worth a try -
particularly with good plant that would be expensive to replace.
Good luck,
Spider

Daphne Pete United Kingdom 9 26-07-2011 10:40 AM
HELP! Urgent tomato help needed please! Fergal United Kingdom 2 08-05-2007 08:18 PM
Urgent honeysuckle help-scorched!! Need help today! hakakahn Gardening 4 16-06-2006 03:22 AM
Daphne Pete United Kingdom 0 04-01-2004 11:07 AM
Daphne Odora- diagnosis, please skg Gardening 2 14-04-2003 07:08 AM