GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Diseased Pear Tree Help! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/84121-diseased-pear-tree-help.html)

gardengnome 25-09-2004 06:31 PM

Diseased Pear Tree Help!

Hi there - am new to this so bear with me.

I'm trying to figure out what disease my pear tree has. I can't seem to be able to match the symptons to anything I can find on the web and hope someone out there may be able to distinguish what it may be from my description.

It seems to be affecting the leaves of the tree only and consists of a red blotch coming from the stem of the leaf. The peculiar bit however is the 'growth' on the back of the red spot which is approx 4mm in depth and has what appears to be little postules (consisting of what look like tiny hairs)coming from it. The growth is hard and when you split it it's white inside and looks a bit like the inside of a hazelnut.

Anyone any ideas? Would appreciate any advice you may have.

Gardengnome.

gardengnome 25-09-2004 11:26 PM

Hi again - have since discovered that the pear tree has Pear Rust.

Would anyone out there have any practical advice on removing this from the tree. (only advice I can find is to remove any Junipers in the area).

Any help would be most welcome.

Gardengnome

Quote:

Originally Posted by gardengnome

Dwayne 26-09-2004 02:04 AM

I am not sure what you have, but the following have helped keep trees from
getting rust. Spraying I believe will help if done in the spring. Some
problems can be controlled by pruning off all the dead or damaged wood while
dormant (keeping the areas that let in problems to a minimum), and removing
cedar trees has helped with my apple and pear trees.

This will help three problems. I don't know which you have, but you can try
all three for next year and it will possibly get the problem.

Dwayne

--
gardengnome

gardengnome 26-09-2004 02:52 PM

Many thanks Dwayne will try that and see how we go.

Cheers

Gardengnome

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwayne