Old 25-09-2004, 07:15 PM
Pen Phill

Default Please name this weed

Hello all

Can anyone give a name and effective treatment for this annoying (but pretty)
weed that is slowly invading my lawn. It is small, leaves about 1cm accross and
spade shaped. The roots appear to spread in the same way as buttercup. The
flowers are blue and during Summer there are lots of them. I would particularly
like to know how to selectivly KILL them as lawn weedkillers don't seem to have
any effect. I have pulled a bit and scanned it he

http://pageperso.aol.fr/Penphill/weed.jpg

Phil
Old 25-09-2004, 08:00 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Pen Phill
writes
Hello all

Can anyone give a name and effective treatment for this annoying (but pretty)
weed that is slowly invading my lawn. It is small, leaves about 1cm accross and
spade shaped. The roots appear to spread in the same way as buttercup. The
flowers are blue and during Summer there are lots of them. I would particularly
like to know how to selectivly KILL them as lawn weedkillers don't seem to have
any effect. I have pulled a bit and scanned it he

http://pageperso.aol.fr/Penphill/weed.jpg

Phil

Looks like a violet of some description.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 25-09-2004, 08:34 PM
Mike Lyle

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In article , Pen

Phill
writes
Hello all

Can anyone give a name and effective treatment for this annoying
(but pretty) weed that is slowly invading my lawn. It is small,
leaves about 1cm accross and spade shaped. The roots appear to
spread in the same way as buttercup. The flowers are blue and

during
Summer there are lots of them. I would particularly like to know

how
to selectivly KILL them as lawn weedkillers don't seem to have any
effect. I have pulled a bit and scanned it he

http://pageperso.aol.fr/Penphill/weed.jpg

Phil

Looks like a violet of some description.

Seems like the common dog violet, doesn't it? I wouldn't want to kill
it off, myself: I actually tried to introduce it to my lawn in Wales,
but without success. I suppose the lawn weedkiller granules must be
falling off, as I don't understand how else you haven't knocked it
out. If lawn treatments and regular mowing don't shift it, I imagine
hand weeding is the only thing.

Mike.

Old 25-09-2004, 10:29 PM
ex WGS Hamm

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
[...]

It is what you say it is. I find it rather attractive and love to see it in
my garden. However if the OP is one of those who likes a huge expanse of
just bare grass, anything growing in it, however pretty would be unwanted.

Old 26-09-2004, 09:40 AM
Franz Heymann

"Pen Phill" wrote in message
Hello all

Can anyone give a name and effective treatment for this annoying

(but pretty)
weed that is slowly invading my lawn. It is small, leaves about 1cm

accross and
spade shaped. The roots appear to spread in the same way as

buttercup. The
flowers are blue and during Summer there are lots of them. I would

particularly
like to know how to selectivly KILL them as lawn weedkillers don't

seem to have
any effect. I have pulled a bit and scanned it he

http://pageperso.aol.fr/Penphill/weed.jpg

Count yourself as lucky. You have dog violets in your lawn. Cherish
them.

Franz

Old 26-09-2004, 04:37 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

Count yourself as lucky. You have dog violets in your lawn. Cherish
them.

With bone meal, no doubt...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 26-09-2004, 05:38 PM
Pen Phill

Can anyone give a name and effective treatment for this annoying
(but pretty)
weed that is slowly invading my lawn. It is small, leaves about 1cm

accross and
spade shaped. The roots appear to spread in the same way as

buttercup. The
flowers are blue and during Summer there are lots of them. I would

particularly
like to know how to selectivly KILL them as lawn weedkillers don't

seem to have
any effect. I have pulled a bit and scanned it he

http://pageperso.aol.fr/Penphill/weed.jpg

Count yourself as lucky. You have dog violets in your lawn. Cherish
them.

Franz

Thanks all
What a lot of varying replies...but.
Yes. Now I have a name I have found a good image on Google and it is Dog Violet
as you say. However, whilst I don't mind it growing on the bankings around the
house and elsewhere - it doesn't need cherishing, it grows quite well enough
without any help- I don't want it creeping into the lawn, which is about 600
sq m and where it has more than just a toehold.I am not a classicist but for me
a lawn should be just a piece of garden consisting of grass only. (If possible)
like a strawberry bed is for strawberries and a potato patch for potatoes etc.
I have used a liquid selective weedkiller on the lawn that gets rid of
Dandilions, Buttercups, Docks, Plantains, Celandines and most of the other
common weeds but it doesn't seem to affect my Dog violets one bit. I really
dont feel hand weeding will be effective. Will anything selective work?

Phil

Old 02-10-2004, 05:52 PM
Mike Lyle

Pen Phill wrote:
[...]

I'm absolutely sure that the herbicide you've used _must_ knock out
dog violets if it can get rid of tap-rooters such as dandelions and
docks. I feel a bit like a murderer as I say this, but it's _your_
garden, after all: it's probably only a matter of repeating the dose,
maybe a couple of extra times, and doing it at the right time of year
and in the right weather conditions.

I'd say you'll probably have to wait until spring now, as you should
hit them when they're growing well: trust what it says on the bottle.

Mike.

Old 03-10-2004, 05:30 PM
Pen Phill

Subject: Please name this weed
From: "Mike Lyle"
Date: 02/10/04 18:52 Romance Daylight Time
Pen Phill wrote:
[...]

I actually live in France (Brittany) and at the moment everything is still
growing. The weedkiller is called "Pelous'net" (literally Clean Lawn) It's made
by Monsanto and contains Fluroxypyr; Clopyralid and 2,4-MCPA. I use it at
30ml/5l but I suppose I can up the dosage to 40ml/5l as it suggests for
difficult weeds. I'll see what happens...but its apparent unconcerned attitude
to my original treatment means I don't hold out much hope.

Phil