Old 26-09-2004, 01:09 PM
Registered User

Location: Bewdley
Question Tomatoes

I have been told that tomatoes, as much as I like them, are causing my arthritic fingers to play up. To test this out I stayed off them for awhile and my fingers were fine, as soon as I started eating them again my fingers became sore.
So, what can I grow next year to replace that pick and eat pleasure? Note I grow my tomatoes outside.

Thanks
Steve
Old 26-09-2004, 04:37 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from StephenJ contains these words:

I have been told that tomatoes, as much as I like them, are causing my
arthritic fingers to play up. To test this out I stayed off them for
awhile and my fingers were fine, as soon as I started eating them again
my fingers became sore.
So, what can I grow next year to replace that pick and eat pleasure?
Note I grow my tomatoes outside.

How about Cape Gooseberries? Decorative scarlet lanterns too - but don't
eat the berries from the garden variety 'Scarlet Lanterns' - same
family, (Physalis) but the S.L.s are very bitter...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 26-09-2004, 07:54 PM
Alan Gould

In article , StephenJ
writes

I have been told that tomatoes, as much as I like them, are causing my
arthritic fingers to play up. To test this out I stayed off them for
awhile and my fingers were fine, as soon as I started eating them again
my fingers became sore.
So, what can I grow next year to replace that pick and eat pleasure?
Note I grow my tomatoes outside.

Strawberries would be one idea. Grown outside, they will give a longer
fruiting season than tomatoes, but not longer than indoor ones. You just
have time if you set new strawberry plants now for fruiting next year.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 26-09-2004, 11:56 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Alan Gould contains these words:
In article , StephenJ
writes

I have been told that tomatoes, as much as I like them, are causing my
arthritic fingers to play up. To test this out I stayed off them for
awhile and my fingers were fine, as soon as I started eating them again
my fingers became sore.
So, what can I grow next year to replace that pick and eat pleasure?
Note I grow my tomatoes outside.

Strawberries would be one idea. Grown outside, they will give a longer
fruiting season than tomatoes, but not longer than indoor ones. You just
have time if you set new strawberry plants now for fruiting next year.

Alpine strawberries have an even longer season.