GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   pine tree for pine nuts (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/84162-pine-tree-pine-nuts.html)

jay jay 26-09-2004 02:41 PM

pine tree for pine nuts

Hi. My UK seed catalogue offers seeds for a medium sized Korean pine - p. koraiensis - which will produce pine nuts. Would love to hear from anyone with any knowledge of this tree - eg. how high it will grow and how long to produce fruit from seed, assuming UK climate of the south.

Peter Crosland 26-09-2004 04:48 PM

Hi. My UK seed catalogue offers seeds for a medium sized Korean pine
- p. koraiensis - which will produce pine nuts. Would love to hear from
anyone with any knowledge of this tree - eg. how high it will grow and
how long to produce fruit from seed, assuming UK climate of the south.

According to Mitchell 19M but not particularly good grower in the UK.

anton 01-10-2004 06:38 PM

"jay jay" wrote in message

Hi. My UK seed catalogue offers seeds for a medium sized Korean pine
- p. koraiensis - which will produce pine nuts. Would love to hear from
anyone with any knowledge of this tree - eg. how high it will grow and
how long to produce fruit from seed, assuming UK climate of the south.

You could also consider the parasol pine, pinus pinea. [At least the French
call it the parasol pine, which is much better than the umbrella pine,
particularly as it doesn't keep the rain off.] Grows medium tall and very
parasol-like. It's the distinctively-shaped pine o fparts of the Med, and
the source of the pine-nut of Italian cuisine. I've just got my first
couple of cones afetr about 8 years from planting out small pots.

--
Anton

jay jay 04-10-2004 08:37 AM

many thanks