Old 26-09-2004, 02:41 PM
Registered User

Location: south west france
Default pine tree for pine nuts

Hi. My UK seed catalogue offers seeds for a medium sized Korean pine - p. koraiensis - which will produce pine nuts. Would love to hear from anyone with any knowledge of this tree - eg. how high it will grow and how long to produce fruit from seed, assuming UK climate of the south.
Old 26-09-2004, 04:48 PM
Peter Crosland

Hi. My UK seed catalogue offers seeds for a medium sized Korean pine
- p. koraiensis - which will produce pine nuts. Would love to hear from
anyone with any knowledge of this tree - eg. how high it will grow and
how long to produce fruit from seed, assuming UK climate of the south.

According to Mitchell 19M but not particularly good grower in the UK.

Old 01-10-2004, 06:38 PM
anton

"jay jay" wrote in message

Hi. My UK seed catalogue offers seeds for a medium sized Korean pine
- p. koraiensis - which will produce pine nuts. Would love to hear from
anyone with any knowledge of this tree - eg. how high it will grow and
how long to produce fruit from seed, assuming UK climate of the south.

You could also consider the parasol pine, pinus pinea. [At least the French
call it the parasol pine, which is much better than the umbrella pine,
particularly as it doesn't keep the rain off.] Grows medium tall and very
parasol-like. It's the distinctively-shaped pine o fparts of the Med, and
the source of the pine-nut of Italian cuisine. I've just got my first
couple of cones afetr about 8 years from planting out small pots.

--
Anton

Pine nuts. DogDiesel Edible Gardening 9 10-11-2011 05:14 AM
Pine nuts handling Steve B[_7_] Edible Gardening 1 10-11-2011 05:13 AM
Pine nuts Tuckermor Edible Gardening 3 17-01-2005 07:03 PM
Kangaroo nuts: which tree and where from? Slader United Kingdom 0 23-02-2004 07:12 AM
Kangaroo Nuts which tree? Tarapia Tapioco United Kingdom 0 19-02-2004 01:16 PM