Old 26-09-2004, 01:58 PM
Double Digger

Default Spinach

Hi,

This is my first posting to this group. I have recently taken over quite a
large area of garden that was previously used for growing vegetables, and
would like to continue doing so. At the moment the whole area is bare, so I
am able to start from scratch. I remember reading that now is a good time to
sow Spinach seeds ready for spring picking and have searched T&M's web
pages for spinach and found that it should be sown in spring. Could anyone
please tell me what type of spinach to grow ( not the supermarket rubbish,
the real stuff please), and when to sow the seeds for the best results.

Thank you in advance,

D.D.

Old 26-09-2004, 07:38 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Double Digger wrote:

This is my first posting to this group. I have recently taken over quite a
large area of garden that was previously used for growing vegetables, and
would like to continue doing so. At the moment the whole area is bare, so I
am able to start from scratch. I remember reading that now is a good time to
sow Spinach seeds ready for spring picking and have searched T&M's web
pages for spinach and found that it should be sown in spring. Could anyone
please tell me what type of spinach to grow ( not the supermarket rubbish,
the real stuff please), and when to sow the seeds for the best results.

It depends on where you are. Nothing will grow well sown now (lack
of light), but some things may give a crop. I am trying some
Oriental vegetables that are supposed to crop even if sown now,
but we shall see. I got them from Marshalls.

My view would be to buy any variety of spinach and give it a go,
but aim to crop at least some in December. It will not stand more
than a mild winter, despite claims of overwintering - and nor will
anything else much I have found, except for leeks, broccoli and
kale. However, since we seem to be in a spell of mild winters,
why not take the risk? A couple of quid and an hour or two is all
you stand to lose ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-09-2004, 07:53 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Double Digger
writes
Hi,

This is my first posting to this group. I have recently taken over quite a
large area of garden that was previously used for growing vegetables, and
would like to continue doing so. At the moment the whole area is bare, so I
am able to start from scratch. I remember reading that now is a good time to
sow Spinach seeds ready for spring picking and have searched T&M's web
pages for spinach and found that it should be sown in spring. Could anyone
please tell me what type of spinach to grow ( not the supermarket rubbish,
the real stuff please), and when to sow the seeds for the best results.

True spinach can be grown to produce all year round, but many gardeners
find it a tricky crop, so they grow Leaf-beet aka Perpetual Spinach
instead. That is spring sown and it will continue cropping all year and
through until the following year's crop is ready to pick.

If you really want an autumn sowing spinach, one such variety is
Monoppa, one of eight spinach varieties available online from:
www.OrganicCatalogue.com

---------------------
NOTE: The 2005 Organic Gardening Catalogue is now available free online
from: www.OrganicCatalogue.com
e-mail to:
Tel: 0845 130 1304 [local rate call]
Fax: 01932 252707
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 26-09-2004, 08:07 PM
Max Wright

In message , Double Digger
writes
Hi,

This is my first posting to this group. I have recently taken over quite a
large area of garden that was previously used for growing vegetables, and
would like to continue doing so. At the moment the whole area is bare, so I
am able to start from scratch. I remember reading that now is a good time to
sow Spinach seeds ready for spring picking and have searched T&M's web
pages for spinach and found that it should be sown in spring. Could anyone
please tell me what type of spinach to grow ( not the supermarket rubbish,
the real stuff please), and when to sow the seeds for the best results.

It's getting a bit late now, even if you are in the south, but there are
a number of varieties of winter spinach, for example Giant Winter, which
are sown in late summer/early autumn. There are also varieties such as
Samish which have been bred for "baby" leaf production which you can
grow now with some protection.

Most normal spinach is sown from spring onwards. It's notorious for
running to seed and needs fairly fertile soil. Much less demanding are
perpetual spinach and chard, both of which are really beets. These are
best sown in spring or summer and should produce plenty of leaves
throughout summer and autumn - they will survive most winters and start
producing again in early spring before eventually going to seed around
late April or May.

--
Max Wright
www.wys-systems.demon.co.uk/plotcrop
Old 27-09-2004, 03:43 AM
Dwayne

I like to sow mine in the spring and then replant every 2 to 3 weeks for a
continuous crop.

Dwayne

Old 28-09-2004, 08:08 AM
Magwitch

Max Wright muttered:

Most normal spinach is sown from spring onwards. It's notorious for
running to seed and needs fairly fertile soil. Much less demanding are
perpetual spinach and chard, both of which are really beets. These are
best sown in spring or summer and should produce plenty of leaves
throughout summer and autumn - they will survive most winters and start
producing again in early spring before eventually going to seed around
late April or May.

I've just sown some spinach, spinach hates to dry out and benefits from cool
conditions (doesn't bolt). The soil, however, is still warm, so it's in with
a chance, but the light may be a problem. Last winter where we are (EA) we
only had about 3 nights of frost and the grass seemed to keep growing, and
as Nick says, it's only wasting a £ if they fail.

Old 30-09-2004, 01:55 PM
Double Digger

Many thanks for all your help and advice my recent Spinach posting. I'll
do as suggested and sow two rows, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

D.D.
---
"Double Digger" wrote in a message:
Hi,
I remember reading that now is a good time to
sow Spinach seeds ready for spring picking and have searched T&M's web
pages for spinach and found that it should be sown in spring. Could anyone
please tell me what type of spinach to grow ( not the supermarket rubbish,
the real stuff please), and when to sow the seeds for the best results.

How does spinach grow, pls? Request for some info re spinach. fitwell Edible Gardening 11 03-06-2004 03:11 AM
Spinach spikes will United Kingdom 14 05-06-2003 09:19 AM
Unbelievable Spinach! clc Edible Gardening 4 15-04-2003 07:56 PM
spinach again Larry Blanchard Edible Gardening 12 28-03-2003 03:20 PM
Newbie Q: Baby spinach Irving Kimura Edible Gardening 4 04-02-2003 02:43 AM