Old 26-09-2004, 05:47 PM
Steve

Default Weedkiller

Hi

Just starting out on an allotment and need a pointer.

I have been advised to treat the weeds with 'Roundup'. now this stuff is
about £20 a container. Is there a generic eqivalent I might buy? And where
from?

Cheers

Steve

Old 26-09-2004, 06:11 PM
Emrys Davies

'Steve',

Don't use weed killer. Just dig it (double digging is best) and remove
the weeds as you go.

Regards.
Emrys Davies.

.uk...

Old 26-09-2004, 07:50 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Emrys Davies
writes
'Steve',

Don't use weed killer. Just dig it (double digging is best) and remove
the weeds as you go.

I agree with Emrys. Poisonous herbicides like Roundup are not suitable
for use where food plants are to be grown.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 26-09-2004, 07:54 PM
Peter Crosland

I have been advised to treat the weeds with 'Roundup'. now this stuff is
about £20 a container. Is there a generic eqivalent I might buy? And
where
from?

The main ingredient is glyphosphate.

Old 26-09-2004, 10:55 PM
Jimbo

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , Emrys Davies
writes
'Steve',

Don't use weed killer. Just dig it (double digging is best) and remove
the weeds as you go.

I agree with Emrys. Poisonous herbicides like Roundup are not suitable
for use where food plants are to be grown.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Alan--do you ever think about what happens to "commercial" potatoes plants
before the crop is harvested.

Old 27-09-2004, 05:50 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Jimbo
writes

Alan--do you ever think about what happens to "commercial" potatoes plants
before the crop is harvested.

I try not to. :-(
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 27-09-2004, 11:59 AM
Spider

Jimbo (remove $ ) wrote in message

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , Emrys Davies
writes
'Steve',

Don't use weed killer. Just dig it (double digging is best) and remove
the weeds as you go.

I agree with Emrys. Poisonous herbicides like Roundup are not suitable
for use where food plants are to be grown.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Alan--do you ever think about what happens to "commercial" potatoes plants
before the crop is harvested.

In this context, it doesn't matter what happens to commercial potatoes.
Most gardeners growing their own crops do so to avoid the poisons associated
with commercially-grown crops (excepting organic produce, of course).
Spider

Old 27-09-2004, 01:09 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Jimbo" (remove $ ) contains these words:

Alan--do you ever think about what happens to "commercial" potatoes plants
before the crop is harvested.

They are sprayed with very strong sulphuric acid - IIRC, 85%

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 27-09-2004, 01:36 PM
Philip

I agree with Emrys. Poisonous herbicides like Roundup are not suitable
for use where food plants are to be grown.

Alan--do you ever think about what happens to "commercial" potatoes plants
before the crop is harvested.

I assume you are saying that commercial potato growers use glyphosate
on the field before they harvest the potato crop.

If they do does that make it good practice? I would have thought that
if someone is taking the time and trouble to maintain an allotment,
then they are probably aspiring to growing food that is not tainted by
commercial practices.

I dont want to put words into the OP's mouth, just that would be
uppermost in my mind if I had the time to 'dig'.
Old 27-09-2004, 03:01 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 13:09:19 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:
The message
from "Jimbo" (remove $ ) contains these words:

Alan--do you ever think about what happens to "commercial" potatoes
plants
before the crop is harvested.

They are sprayed with very strong sulphuric acid - IIRC, 85%

To remove the leaves before picking or what?

Since there is a weak solution of sulphuric and hydrochloric acid
falling out of the sky daily, does it really make any difference if
the spuds are sprayed with 85% mix?

It's to kill the foliage so that the skins quickly harden on the tubers.
If you just harvest spuds when the haulm is still green they don't keep
so long.

Old 27-09-2004, 06:59 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Martin
writes
Organic producers uses organically acceptable poisons in some cases.

I don't know any herbicidal poisons acceptable to organic producers.
Could you be more specific?
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 27-09-2004, 08:34 PM
IntarsiaCo

I don't know any herbicidal poisons acceptable to organic producers.
Could you be more specific?

Vinegar is a non-selective herbicide. Is it acceptable to "organic" producers?

Weedkiller. chris.sperry United Kingdom 4 07-05-2003 08:44 AM
weedkiller, roundup, knockdown Frank Logullo Gardening 5 05-05-2003 02:44 PM
Grass Killer (weedkiller) welshman United Kingdom 3 29-04-2003 08:33 PM
Weedkiller TAK United Kingdom 0 20-10-2002 11:14 AM
Environmentally Friendly Weedkiller Jane Ransom United Kingdom 3 28-09-2002 04:51 PM