GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plug Plants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/8423-plug-plants.html)

Jack 13-02-2003 10:58 AM

Plug Plants

If I plant perennial "plug plants" in spring, can I expect them to flower
this year?

Same question for those "crowns" that come in sealed plastic bags at the DIY
store, can I exect a good show from them this year?

I've bought crowns of Rudbeckia and Saponaria; I want to order plugs of
campanula, achillea, lavender and aster. But I'm not a patient gardener and
I'm wondering if I should buy larger plants instead. There again, I'm not a
rich gardener either!!

Thanks.

Barry & Iris McCanna 13-02-2003 02:48 PM

Plug Plants

"Jack" wrote in message
If I plant perennial "plug plants" in spring, can I expect them to

flower
this year?

Same question for those "crowns" that come in sealed plastic bags at

the DIY
store, can I exect a good show from them this year?

I've bought crowns of Rudbeckia and Saponaria; I want to order plugs

of
campanula, achillea, lavender and aster. But I'm not a patient

gardener and
I'm wondering if I should buy larger plants instead. There again,

I'm not a
rich gardener either!!

Thanks.

They should flower this year. I regularly buy plugs, rhizomes, etc.
Start them off in pots now in a protected spot. I actually keep them
in an unheated "plant" house (just because we have a lot of
outbuildings living in an old farmhouse). When the time is right for
planting you'll have decent sized plants to put into the ground.
The company I regularly buy perennial plugs from send them out between
February and April. I pot them up and give them a chance to get
bigger before planting out.

HTH
Iris McCanna