Old 28-09-2004, 04:57 PM
Peter Crosland

Default Raising abies koreana from seed?

My abies koreana coned prolifically this year and I now have a large
quantity of seed (About a pint!) and was wondering if it was worth trying to
propagate some. AFAIK it is not covered by PBRs. Any constructive
suggestions or pointers to helpful web sites would be most welcome.

Old 28-09-2004, 10:50 PM
Kay

In article , Peter Crosland
writes
My abies koreana coned prolifically this year and I now have a large
quantity of seed (About a pint!) and was wondering if it was worth trying to
propagate some.

Probably - Chilterns sell the seed, so presumably it is possible to get
it to germinate.

I've tried from my own seed, but failed. But I didn't try very hard.

AFAIK it is not covered by PBRs.

AFAIW it is a naturally occurring species and not a garden variety
(unless you mean the dwarf form).

--
Kay

Old 28-09-2004, 11:32 PM
Peter Crosland

Probably - Chilterns sell the seed, so presumably it is possible to get
it to germinate.

Whilst looking for information I stumbled across Chiltern Seeds. I am sure
they are going to be a very expensive find for me!

I've tried from my own seed, but failed. But I didn't try very hard.

AFAIW it is a naturally occurring species and not a garden variety
(unless you mean the dwarf form).

Thanks for that Kay. According Mitchell et al the dwarf version occurs
naturally on Quelpaert Island and mine is one of those AFAIK. I certainly
did not buy it as named cultivar.

ROTFLOL about the byline!

Thank for you comments.

Old 29-09-2004, 08:52 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kay writes:
| In article , Peter Crosland
| writes
|
| My abies koreana coned prolifically this year and I now have a large
| quantity of seed (About a pint!) and was wondering if it was worth trying to
| propagate some.
|
| Probably - Chilterns sell the seed, so presumably it is possible to get
| it to germinate.
|
| I've tried from my own seed, but failed. But I didn't try very hard.

I have never seen a self-sown seedling in my garden. I have no
idea if it is self-fertile.

| AFAIK it is not covered by PBRs.
|
| AFAIW it is a naturally occurring species and not a garden variety
| (unless you mean the dwarf form).

Certain USA companies have patented naturally occurring species,
and have got their agents in the administration to try bullying
other countries to honour such patent nonsense. Such bullying
is not necessary with the UK, of course.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.