Old 08-02-2003, 04:23 PM
Pete

Default Apple Tree Stump Remonal

My elderly neighbour wants two of her three apple trees cut down and
stumps removed if possible. The trees are quite old + established.
Is there likely to be a large and deep root system on these to dig
out and if so would it be best to use some sort of chemical to kill
them off ?

Thanks for any help.

Old 08-02-2003, 04:35 PM
PaulK

"Pete" wrote in message
My elderly neighbour wants two of her three apple trees cut down and
stumps removed if possible. The trees are quite old + established.
Is there likely to be a large and deep root system on these to dig
out and if so would it be best to use some sort of chemical to kill
them off ?

Best way to remove is to cut down to around 5ft and use the trunck as a
lever to rock the root system. Excavate a little around the base then more
to access and cur roots as they are made evident by the rocking. Done slow
and steady it need not be too hard work.

pk

Old 08-02-2003, 08:53 PM
Simon

I removed a 50 year old apple tree from our garden. What we did was lift it
out with a JCB (we were building a workshop at the time) - the trunk went
into thground about 2 feet, and then on split into a number of roots. We
thenm filled in the hole and planted grass seed. We have had no problems
with suckers or mould.

Probably the easiest way would be to get a tree feller (NPTC certified and
with public liability insurance !) to fell the tree down to ground level,
and then use a stump grinder to go down a foot or two below ground level.

Simon

Old 08-02-2003, 09:00 PM
david

I'd go with Sacha, cut them back and use the frame as a support for climbing
plants.
BUT you will have to kill off the tree or it will shoot out all over from
every cut limb

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 08-02-2003, 10:47 PM
Pete

On Sat, 8 Feb 2003 21:00:56 -0000, "david"
wrote:

BUT you will have to kill off the tree or it will shoot out all over from
every cut limb

How would one go about doing this ?
Old 14-03-2003, 10:08 AM
N. van Burgsteden

I'd suggest drilling a couple of holes in the stump and stuffing in sheep's
wool. Souns crazy but my colleague, a certified gardener, says it works
every time.

"Pete" schreef in bericht

Old 29-09-2008, 08:38 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
My elderly neighbour wants two of her three apple trees cut down and
stumps removed if possible. The trees are quite old + established.
Is there likely to be a large and deep root system on these to dig
out and if so would it be best to use some sort of chemical to kill
them off ?

Thanks for any help.
Hi, from my experience old apple trees are usually quite soft, as they tend to have a limited life span.

A stump grinder would easily get through the stumps very quickly.
Old 30-09-2008, 03:17 AM
Registered User

The chemical way to kill off medium sized stumps is SBK - you mix it with some car engine oil, drill holes into the stump, and pour it in.

Tree Stump Removal Alan Smith United Kingdom 8 29-09-2008 08:32 PM
tree stump removal Giggles Gardening 6 30-09-2003 04:02 AM
tree stump removal DScott Texas 18 12-09-2003 02:02 PM
How to kill a tree stump Scoby United Kingdom 22 26-08-2003 11:12 PM
tree stump Kumar Varadan Gardening 1 17-04-2003 06:08 PM