Old 29-09-2004, 12:46 AM
Phil L

Default I've almost managed to kill an....

...Aspidistra!

Seriously...I've read that they can tolerate wide temperature fluctuations
and levels of moisture from dessert to mud, yet somehow I've almost killed
it off.
It all started about 2 yrs ago, it started looking a bit sickly and I
noticed it's soil was bone dry so I tried to water it but it continued to
wither over the next few months.
I repotted it in a larger pot as I thought it may be potbound (I only know:
water, repot and feed where plants are concerned!)...still it got browner
and more sickly, so I put it outside for some sunshine for a few days and
gave it a hefty dose of miracle-gro..months passed...I washed it's leaves
thinking the dust might be damaging it but it's still on a downward
spiral...it's now at leat two years since it went 'manky' and it's leaves
are now yellow and some of them are growing at odd angles to the pot.
It's in a shady corner, next to a window but with no direct sunlight at
all...I've also put some fish, blood and bone on the surface of the compost
all to no avail...the thing's at least twenty years old that I know of and
it was fairly large when we got it, is there a possibility that it's dying
of old age? :-P - a long shot I know but I haven't got a clue what's up with
it - any ideas?

Old 29-09-2004, 08:47 AM
JennyC

"Phil L" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Perhaps it needs wings.......?
http://books.fantasticfiction.co.uk/...?authorid=2186 :~))))

Maybe it's sick ?
I'd try taking it out of the pot and having a look at the roots.

Maybe you can take of all the 'manky' bits and repot the good bit to give it a
new start in life ?

Jenny

Old 29-09-2004, 07:33 PM
Bob Hobden

"Phil L" wrote ...
[...]

Unlucky. Ours is at least 100 years old, Sue worked out, and is still going
strong. I have also planted some of it out in the garden and another pot of
it spends it's life out on the NE facing patio. Others bits have been given
away on each repot.
My suggestions are...
1. I suspect red spider mite in your case, give it a good thorough spray
with a suitable bug killer.
2. Remove the plant from all soil, even wash the roots, chack for root
infestation then repot in a clean, even sterilised, pot using John Innes No
2 compost. Keep just moist, never wet and in a light and airy place, even
outside (but frost free) in open shade if in the South.

Good luck.
Regards
Bob.