Old 29-09-2004, 10:07 AM
Lynda Thornton

Default No-maintenance evergreen ground cover on slope - ideas?

Hi all

We have recently acquired a rather large garden with some awkward areas,
mostly very mossy lawns difficult to mow etc and we want to try and
reduce some of the lawns and make them (much) lower maintenance. One
area is a long 6-8ft deep strip on a steep slope below a line of fruit
trees, leading down to a kind of retaining wall planted with small
shrubs. My plan was to maybe bark chip this strip with some border
edging to retain the bark chip and grow some dwarf conifers and other
slow-growing non-maintenance plants through it for interest etc.
However, there is the risk that the bark chips will blow off etc making
a right mess and/or settle lower on the slope, exposing the upper area.
Someone recently suggested to us to replace the grass with low ground
cover to help hold the bank together as when the grass isn't there it
might cause problems with subsiding soil?

We are also thinking of a similar lawn-reduction in another raised area
although much less sloping, at the front of the house but below the main
lawn, out of sight behind a hedge and basically just a pain to keep
tidy. It's roughly north facing and in the shade some of the time.
There I was thinking of planting round the edges with a 3-4ft hebe (or
evergreen) type hedge with ferns below on the bottom section of the
slope and on the flatter top putting in a couple of specimen trees and
covering the rest with bark chippings. There might be the same
situation there that the chippings will need retaining and that ground
cover would also help to hold the soil together.

I'm not keen on the rose of sharon type thing or any yellow flowered
expanses, but I was thinking of maybe a periwinkle (pretty flowers,
prefer the colour) as long as it wasn't invasive and also properly
covered the ground and didn't grow upwards. Anybody got some other
ideas? Also, due to the cost of covering this amount of ground, we
might have to do a section at a time as it is a fairly large area and
just buying the plants will be pretty expensive unless somebody out
there can suggest something fantastically cost-effective!

What might be good specimen trees for north-facing, partial shade? I
was wondering about magnolia but they might not be hardy enough,
although we haven't been here for a winter yet and don't know how much
of a frost pocket we might be in (we are on a long avenue up a hill) but
lined with large mature trees, it's a very tree-y area.

How would people suggest we get rid of this amount of grass and moss - a
spray weedkiller or dig it up? I am thinking that if we dig it up it
might cause worse damage to the slopes but we need to get rid of the
grass to plant anything else as I don't want just a load of plants
dotted around in the grass which will make it even more difficult to
maintain!

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Lynda

Old 29-09-2004, 03:33 PM
Philip

{ SNIP }

Did you see the thread of a couple of days ago. The sSubject was
"Plants for low-maintenance garden?". It seems to civer the same sort
of ground.
Old 29-09-2004, 04:31 PM
Kay

In article , Lynda Thornton
writes

However, there is the risk that the bark chips will blow off etc making
a right mess and/or settle lower on the slope, exposing the upper area.
Someone recently suggested to us to replace the grass with low ground
cover to help hold the bank together as when the grass isn't there it
might cause problems with subsiding soil?

Sounds a sensible suggestion.

We are also thinking of a similar lawn-reduction in another raised area
although much less sloping, at the front of the house but below the main
lawn, out of sight behind a hedge and basically just a pain to keep
tidy. It's roughly north facing and in the shade some of the time.
There I was thinking of planting round the edges with a 3-4ft hebe (or
evergreen) type hedge with ferns below on the bottom section of the
slope and on the flatter top putting in a couple of specimen trees and
covering the rest with bark chippings. There might be the same
situation there that the chippings will need retaining and that ground
cover would also help to hold the soil together.

How dry is this area, given that it's near a hedge? Most ferns like a
soil which is on the moist side.

Anywhere near a lawn will tend to get re-invaded by grass, so you'll
need some sort of edging to keep it under control - either a regularly
trimmed lawn edge or a barrier strip of paving stones, bricks or
similar.

What might be good specimen trees for north-facing, partial shade?

I have a Magnolia stellata on the N side of the house, about 10 ft from
the house - it gets sun morning and evening in summer.

was wondering about magnolia but they might not be hardy enough,
although we haven't been here for a winter yet and don't know how much
of a frost pocket we might be in (we are on a long avenue up a hill)

If you're partly up the hill, you won't have a frost pocket unless you
have a hedge or other barrier across the slope.

but
lined with large mature trees, it's a very tree-y area.

How would people suggest we get rid of this amount of grass and moss - a
spray weedkiller or dig it up?

Strip the turf, dig the soil out and bury the turf face down at least 12
inches deep. Or strip the turf and pile it up somewhere to rot down.
It'll make good top soil for the future.

--
Kay

Old 29-09-2004, 10:32 PM
Lynda Thornton

In article , Kay
writes
In article , Lynda Thornton
writes

[...]

The area is actually pretty wet, the grass is always sodden and full of
moss, the hedge isn't that dominating, it's quite a large area of grass.
There are already some ferns planted nearby so I thought they might be
OK in a similar situation.

Anywhere near a lawn will tend to get re-invaded by grass, so you'll
need some sort of edging to keep it under control - either a regularly
trimmed lawn edge or a barrier strip of paving stones, bricks or
similar.

What might be good specimen trees for north-facing, partial shade?

I have a Magnolia stellata on the N side of the house, about 10 ft from
the house - it gets sun morning and evening in summer.

was wondering about magnolia but they might not be hardy enough,
although we haven't been here for a winter yet and don't know how much
of a frost pocket we might be in (we are on a long avenue up a hill)

If you're partly up the hill, you won't have a frost pocket unless you
have a hedge or other barrier across the slope.

OK I might look into that option more closely!

but
lined with large mature trees, it's a very tree-y area.

How would people suggest we get rid of this amount of grass and moss - a
spray weedkiller or dig it up?

Strip the turf, dig the soil out and bury the turf face down at least 12
inches deep. Or strip the turf and pile it up somewhere to rot down.
It'll make good top soil for the future.

I'll think about it but there will be a huge amount of the stuff and
there's nowhere handy nearby in the garden to pile it up

Thanks for the interest and ideas anyway!

Lynda
Old 30-09-2004, 09:01 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Lynda Thornton" wrote in message
news
[...]

Bergenia cordifolia would do it in a season and be cheap especially if you
can find someone who has it (you can get dozens of plants from a single
piece!) if you are anywhere near me you can have some for free. Vinca major
would also do it but I think looks a little untidy, probably a bit late now
but raising a few dozen Geranium endressii from seed can be a quick way of
getting lots

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk