Old 13-02-2003, 05:32 PM
papa

Default Euphorbia mellifera lookalike ?

I saw a very nice plant a year or so back in a garden I was visiting which
looked just like E. mellifera but had broader leaves. I never caught the
name of it although it was definitely Euphorbia somethin or other and was
wondering if anyone might have some suggestions. I really would like to
find a hardier alternative to E. mellifera which does not like the cold in
my cotswold garden.

Many thanks

P.

Old 13-02-2003, 06:12 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "papa" (remove nospam to reply)
contains these words:

I saw a very nice plant a year or so back in a garden I was visiting which
looked just like E. mellifera but had broader leaves. I never caught the
name of it although it was definitely Euphorbia somethin or other and was
wondering if anyone might have some suggestions. I really would like to
find a hardier alternative to E. mellifera which does not like the cold in
my cotswold garden.

I was just reading this in a Binny Plants catalogue this am, might fit
the bill ?

"euphorbia schillingii (AGM) 1 m ;Good late flowering with tall stems
and large grey/green leaves with white central midrib. Flower bracts
large and lime green. A superb clump forming plant"

Binny's are in West Lothian so their selections should be hardy enough
for your area, and they do mail order. www.binnyplants.co.uk

Janet.