Old 29-09-2004, 10:03 PM
Tim Tyler

Default Mulberries

I've taken some cuttings and fruit from a local mulberry tree:

My "mulberry" photos:

http://timtyler.org/fruit/mulberry/

The good news is that the mulberry seeds have sprouted - and
the mulberry cuttings are showing signs of life as well ;-)

The germination rate of the seeds was low - I planted several
hundred seeds - but only four have germinated.

The cuttings that have apparently survived have simply been
placed in water - and took quite a long time to show any
signs of life.

I'm looking forward to a mulberry-flavoured future ;-)

It looks as though the same trick can be fairly easily
be performed with figs as well.

Hopefully, I'll keep you guys informed of my progress.
--
__________
Old 29-09-2004, 10:24 PM
Pam Moore

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 21:03:41 GMT, Tim Tyler wrote:

I've taken some cuttings and fruit from a local mulberry tree:

Ooh you make my mouth water. It is my favourite tree and I love the
fruit. I get excited when I discover a new one.
Were your seed sown last year? And your cuttings taken?
How big were the cuttings. I understand that mulberries root from
quite thick branches but have never had the chance to try.
I have one grown from a seed, on my allotment, in situ for 13 years
and about 5 years old when planted, and no sign of fruit yet. In fact
it looked a bit sickly this year, with smaller, yellowy leaves. Guess
I should feed it, I never have!!! It is in quite an exposed spot.
I also have a small one in a pot, purchased last year. Looks healthy
but only 18 inches.
I saw one once at a nursery, and was greatly tempted, but resisted.
The nursery was Hillhouse nursery!
Where is the one in the photo?
Good luck with your new trees.

Pam in Bristol
Old 30-09-2004, 11:38 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Tim Tyler contains these words:

It looks as though the same trick can be fairly easily
be performed with figs as well.

Fig seed germinates readily, but beware! Many imported figs are from
varieties which are not self-fertile. I can't remember the details, but
you might need male and female trees.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 30-09-2004, 05:07 PM
Kay

In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from Tim Tyler contains these words:

It looks as though the same trick can be fairly easily
be performed with figs as well.

Fig seed germinates readily, but beware! Many imported figs are from
varieties which are not self-fertile. I can't remember the details, but
you might need male and female trees.

The flowers of the fig are inside what eventually grows into the fruit.
Flowers are male, female or neuter, the neuter ones basically being a
food supply for the wasps who fertilise. Female wasp enters, lays eggs,
eggs hatch and develop into male and female wasps, only the females
leave to lay more eggs elsewhere. The different flushes of fig fruits
have different proportions of male, female and neuter flowers to
synchronise with the wasp life cycle and ensure fertilisation.

Some varieties of fig can produce fruit without fertilisation,
fortunately for us, as we don't have the fig wasp in the UK. But I don't
think these fruit have viable seed.

So the quick answer is - no you don't need male and female trees, just
the right sort of fig.
--
Kay

Old 30-09-2004, 07:35 PM
Tim Tyler

Pam Moore wrote or quoted:
On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 21:03:41 GMT, Tim Tyler wrote:

I've taken some cuttings and fruit from a local mulberry tree:

Ooh you make my mouth water. It is my favourite tree and I love the
fruit. I get excited when I discover a new one.
Were your seed sown last year?

August 2004.

And your cuttings taken?

August 2004.

How big were the cuttings.

25cm long.

I have one grown from a seed, on my allotment, in situ for 13 years
and about 5 years old when planted, and no sign of fruit yet.

Drat. I was hoping for some fresh mulberries sometime soon :-|

Where is the one in the photo?

Bristol University Botanic Gardens:

http://www.bris.ac.uk/Depts/BotanicGardens/
--
__________

Old 30-09-2004, 09:49 PM
Pam Moore

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 18:35:18 GMT, Tim Tyler wrote:

Where is the one in the photo?

Bristol University Botanic Gardens:

I know it. I've feasted from it. Is there a mulberry at the new
premises? They can't move everything!

Pam in Bristol
Old 01-10-2004, 07:40 AM
Tim Tyler

Pam Moore wrote or quoted:
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 18:35:18 GMT, Tim Tyler wrote:

Where is the one in the photo?

Bristol University Botanic Gardens:

I know it. I've feasted from it. Is there a mulberry at the new
premises? They can't move everything!

Presumably the tree will stay put.

Whether it will be cloned, bred from or replaced in the move I can't say.

I hear a rumour there is a Mulberry tree in the Royal Fort Gardens as
well - but I've never noticed such a thing.
--

Creeping Mulberries SteveB[_4_] Gardening 0 17-12-2007 06:51 PM
Mulberries FarmI Edible Gardening 3 07-06-2007 10:39 AM
mulberries Sally Gardening 4 24-06-2006 04:03 AM
A question about mulberries simy1 Edible Gardening 3 20-07-2005 12:49 AM
Red mulberries? Salamander Gardening 1 25-04-2004 06:03 AM