Old 30-09-2004, 05:07 PM
Kay

In article . 151,
Victoria Clare writes
I find spreading a sheet of newspaper over the contents from time to time
then adding new stuff on top of that keeps flies down and helps stop the
whole thing going runny. The worms will eat the damp newspaper in time,
and in the meanwhile it gives them a bit of shelter, so they come right to
the top to eat the new stuff.

Shredded paper packing material and rabbit hutch cleanings are also good.

If your worm-compost goes grey, you are probably adding too much paper, but
the worms seem to survive OK!

The layers of unrotted cardboard in my compost heap are sandwiched
together with spaghetti- (or perhaps vermicelli-) like layers of worms.
--
Kay

Old 30-09-2004, 07:56 PM
Anna Kettle

Had to put wire mesh round my bin, after a rat gnawed a hole through
it. And we're not talking an average plastic dustbin - this is a 40
gallon plastic 'spice' barrel...about 5mm wall thickness.

That must have been one hungry rat. I'd have thought there would
generally be much easier pickings around. Was it the middle of winter?

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642
Old 30-09-2004, 10:15 PM
Franz Heymann

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote in message

I put all kitchen stuff in mine, including onion and lemon, torn up

egg
boxes are apprently v tasty too so I add those. And a helping of

dead leaves
and grass cuttings in season. I don't add egg shells, (I don't even

compost
them as they never seem to break up).

[snip]

What did you expect? They are pure limestone.
:{-))

Franz