Old 29-09-2004, 11:34 PM
PDES

Default Lawn advice please

I've just bought a new house where the lawn was turfed a year or so ago.
Unfortunately, the builders neglected it and it looks very dry, patchy and
straw-like. I understand that the lawn was laid on topsoil so would expect
there to be no serious nutrition problems. How can I restore the lawn to a
short, dense lush covering?

Regards

David

Old 30-09-2004, 01:48 PM
Emrys Davies

'David',

Are there gaps between the turfs which would indicate that at some point
they were starved of water during a drought, although that is somewhat
unlikely during the past twelve months.

Prise up part of one of the most affected turfs to see whether its roots
are dead or, more hopefully, that they have penetrated the topsoil.

In the meantime I suggest that you water it thoroughly in the hope that
it will spring to life. It is surprising how a lawn which looks dead
gradually comes to life again when it receives proper care.

Should you get a favourable response, I suggest that you, keep it moist,
'feed and weed' it in April and set the mower fairly high until the
grass has established itself.

I suggest that you give it twelve months to recover and then make an
assessment as to its future.

Regard,
Emrys Davies.

Old 30-09-2004, 08:42 PM
Robert E A Harvey

"PDES" wrote in message . ..
I've just bought a new house where the lawn was turfed a year or so ago.
Unfortunately, the builders neglected it and it looks very dry, patchy and
straw-like. I understand that the lawn was laid on topsoil so would expect
there to be no serious nutrition problems. How can I restore the lawn to a
short, dense lush covering?

Hmm.
First of all, go and talk to the builder. If you have bought a new
house you are entitled to a good lawn, not a neglected one. Would you
have let him get away with damaged paintwork or a misscoloured toilet
suite? Talk to your soliciter, briefly, as well about what rights you
have over the builder.

Next, if despite all the late summer rain it still looks dry and
patchy there is little hope for the grass you have. Is there any
evidence that piles of timber etc. were left on it thus killing it? I
would expect the soil to be moist at the moment, unless you live a
long way from the bits of the UK I have seen lately.

Lastly, this is the right time of year for seeding. A little grass
seed would not be too expensive, and with luck you won't have to water
it much!
Old 30-09-2004, 10:53 PM
PDES

Thanks for the reply. I'll have a word with the builders but it seems that
TLC is the only answer short of re-laying.

There's no evidence of builders stuff being left but I am doubtful as to the
quantity and quality of the supposed topsoil.

I'll start with an Autumn feed and see how it goes.

Regards,

David
"Robert E A Harvey" wrote in message
om...

. ..

Old 30-09-2004, 10:55 PM
PDES

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

There are no gaps but I haven't lifted the turf. I saw the lawn in the
spring and it seemed to be quite healthy and green.

As I said to the other guy who responded, I suppose it's TLC time.

Regards,

David

Old 02-10-2004, 06:15 PM
J M Farrugia

Perhaps a liquid feed would give the lawn an instant boost.

Cheers, Joe

Message from PDES on Thu, 30 Sep 2004 20:53:03 Lawn
advice please:

Thanks for the reply. I'll have a word with the builders but it seems that
TLC is the only answer short of re-laying.

There's no evidence of builders stuff being left but I am doubtful as to the
quantity and quality of the supposed topsoil.

I'll start with an Autumn feed and see how it goes.

Regards,

David
"Robert E A Harvey" wrote in message
. com...

Lawn advice please Tim Lawns 0 08-07-2007 07:02 PM
Lawn advice ... suggestions for a lawn alternative for shady damp area Small Red Robin United Kingdom 7 16-05-2006 06:27 PM
new lawn advice needed please spider United Kingdom 4 17-04-2006 11:05 AM
lawn tractor advice, please - john deere 111 bb2004 Lawns 1 22-09-2004 06:25 PM
lawn about 60 sq metres and quite flat - advice on best mower please Jim United Kingdom 2 04-07-2004 01:05 AM