Old 30-09-2004, 03:56 PM
ajr

Default Composting - telephone directories

Good afternoon,

I've had copies delivered of the 'phone directory, Thompsons and Yellow
Pages in the last few weeks. As the local recycling centre does not want
the old copies I was wondering if these directories can be thrown on the
compost heap?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Andrew

Old 30-09-2004, 04:02 PM
Oxymel of Squill

yes, but you'll have to tear them up and scrunch up the leaves or they'll
take the whole of time and turn intoo a horrid sogginess

Old 30-09-2004, 04:03 PM
bigboard

ajr wrote:

Good afternoon,

I've had copies delivered of the 'phone directory, Thompsons and Yellow
Pages in the last few weeks. As the local recycling centre does not want
the old copies I was wondering if these directories can be thrown on the
compost heap?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Andrew

Yes, It would be best to cut/rip them up first, but not essential.

--
Love your enemies: they'll go crazy trying to figure out what you're up
to.

Old 30-09-2004, 09:39 PM
Pam Moore

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 15:56:19 +0100, "ajr" wrote:

I've had copies delivered of the 'phone directory, Thompsons and Yellow
Pages in the last few weeks. As the local recycling centre does not want
the old copies I was wondering if these directories can be thrown on the
compost heap?

Our council now takes Yellow Pages. The manufacturers changed the
glue which made them difficult to recycle, so I understand.
This afternoon I was digging out the contents of a "Dalek" composter
which had not been emptied for 2 years. Good stuff but 3 things had
not composted; 1. wet wipes 2. egg shells and 3. a paper-back book
which I had thrown in as it had some pages missing. It would have
disintegrated eventually but was still recognisable as a book. I
should have torn it up.
If you tear up the directories they will compost as well as newspaper.

Pam in Bristol
Old 30-09-2004, 11:34 PM
ex WGS Hamm

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 15:56:19 +0100, "ajr" wrote:

I've had copies delivered of the 'phone directory, Thompsons and Yellow
Pages in the last few weeks. As the local recycling centre does not want
the old copies I was wondering if these directories can be thrown on the
compost heap?

Our council now takes Yellow Pages. The manufacturers changed the
glue which made them difficult to recycle, so I understand.
This afternoon I was digging out the contents of a "Dalek" composter
which had not been emptied for 2 years. Good stuff but 3 things had
not composted; 1. wet wipes 2. egg shells and 3. a paper-back book
which I had thrown in as it had some pages missing. It would have
disintegrated eventually but was still recognisable as a book. I
should have torn it up.
If you tear up the directories they will compost as well as newspaper.

What you need is what I use. It efficiently and without batteries or
electricity, shreds them into small bits ready for composting.The bits end
up the size of 50p pieces. It can do any number of them.

Old 01-10-2004, 07:24 AM
Anna Kettle

What you need is what I use. It efficiently and without batteries or
electricity, shreds them into small bits ready for composting.The bits end
up the size of 50p pieces. It can do any number of them.

I suspect that it needs a good fuel supply of dogfood though. Am I
right?

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642